Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does one get their credit score

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Feb 9, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the subjesct summed it up? I do a credit check it gives me accounts etc, but no score etc. My Mrs just did one for a loan and they gave he some cool number. But I wonder what number mine gets. I dont get it?? Anyone?

2. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    It's called a FICO score...and you can get yours and a report for a modest fee from one of the three major credit reporting agencies.. I got mine recently from www.equifax.com. You can see your entire credit history..I actually found some mistakes in mine which one corrected helps your score..Another way is through your bank, if you applied for any loan recently they may be kind enough to do a "free credit analysis"..good luck..

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I got a Equifax but it never gave a score. Atleast I couldnt find it.

4. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I'd try a bank or a loan officer. If they can't do it right then they could tell you what the path of least resistance is.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I believe that that fair credit reporting act says that anytime a lender pulls your credit report, you are entitled to a free copy. So if you apply for any type of credit they should pull your credit report and you should get something in the mail within a few days notifying you of who requested a copy of your credit report and giving you an opportunity to request a free copy.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I got a report. That isnt a problem. I paid a fee.

But where do I get the score that the bank always says. "Oh that wont be problem you have a 740" that score.

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I think it goes from zero or one to nine. Zero or one id good and nine is "don't lend him a dime.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    try this:

www.myfico.com

there are places that sell you all three reports and/or all three FICO's

Cheers!

9. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    ok i get it.....there are different types of reports. In order for you to see the FICO score you have to have a report that includes it. The standard credit report does not include the FICO score. Your bank should be able to tell you for free what your FICO score is...or order one of the online reports with the FICO score, it comes with a pretty good explanation of the score and a neat tool to do some what if scenarios like if I paid this credit card what effect it has on FICO score..etc.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

I just read that to. Sad!! I pay money to check credit report and they dont tell how it reflects to lenders. Oh well. I will try my bank.

:bassist: Thanx all!!

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That would be kind of sweet if you had a 740.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if he did......MUST BE NICE!

:bawl:

:D

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll say! I could refinance my home at 4.75%!

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    At 740 they would give you -5%. The longer you had the loan, the more money you'd make!

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D :bassist:

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    are you kidding, i would be able to refinance.....anything!

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Dang. I need to go take out a loan IMMEDIATELY so I can start makin' some money.

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    The scores range anywhere from 300 to 850.

I'm not sure what Jazzbo meant when he said 740 would get you a -5% interest rate--it IS fairly high, but not out of this world. The scores take into consideration your outstanding debt, your outstanding debt compared to your credit limit, the number of late payments you have, and the length that you have (good) established credit.

19. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    when I talk to my bank they said the highest score he'd seen in 10 years of his experience was 802...so yes above 740 is really really good.