1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does one get this impressive guitar-like tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Oct 21, 2013.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ahoy. Any ideas how the (masked) bassist from Adebisi Shank achieves his tone in this recording?

The bass comes in around the 0:27 mark. He's clearly playing high up on the neck, but wow! To my ears it almost sounds like a rhythm guitarist playing power chords!

Around 0:33 I see a red pedal (a DigiTech Whammy?) and white/yellow pedal both with expression pedals. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    bump

3. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    To me it looks like he's hitting 2 strings with a pick, just like a treble guitarist would with a 3 note chord...idk, I can cop a really cool 'power chord' sound with my fingernails scraping on a high fretted E or A string with a green russian big muff (like scratching an itch, but really hard).

4. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    Oh man, I love Adebisi Shank, especially the older stuff. Hadn't heard this one.

Sounds to me like the bassist is using some kind of fuzz + octave effect. Hard to know if it's digital or what.

I find both the guitarist and bassist in this outfit a constant source of how-did-they-do-that whizbang sonic wonder, but beyond that, man, they can freakin' play.