How Does One Price Used Equipment for Sale?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Am thinking about selling some of my aging bass equipment, but have no clue how much to sell it for.
    I called a local used equipment dealer who refused to take my fifteen inch cab and speaker because he says there is too little demand, says my ten year old Peavey 350 watt head is probably worth no more than $50 at most and my Peavey speaker cab with two ten inch speakers and a tweeter is worth no more than $150. He will not take my Samson wireless at all and may take some other rack equipment and the case, but I have to drag everything there for his inspection (of course.) All of this equipment has been well-maintained and is in good working condition. It would be ideal for a beginner or intermediate player. I paid well over $1000 for all these peices originally (in total...not each one.)

Anyway, I don't want to sell off just part; I want to sell all of it as a unit. So if I put an ad in the paper, what price should I set? I might also sell one of my practice combos, but again have no idea of value. I'd rather just GIVE that to my son or GoodWill than sell it to a greedy music dealer for $20.

Last, I MAY sell a couple of my basses, but again have no clue how to value them for sale.

I'd appreciate the advice of those of you who are experienced with such matters.
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    God, am I EVER experienced in this...much, much TOO experienced :D

Usually, I'll watch Ebay or other online classifieds or dealer sites to find out what the going prices are. If I see a pattern, I'll set my price accordingly...usually a bit less than what a dealer would charge. If your stuff isn't common enough to do this, it makes it tougher. You have to basically decide what you think is fair and try to get that...if not, take offers until you get one you can live with.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

One thing I like to do when trying to decide how much my used stuff is worth is search on ebay to see what similar stuff has gone for recently.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Dealers tend to give you 2/3 of what they think they can sell the item at on a trade or 1/3 if they have to give you cash. If they dont want the item then they offer silly money cos they cannot lose and dont actually have to say no.

I second the look around course of action. Find out what the 'best' mag or site is (local whatever) and see what the prices are like then place an ad at similar values. You probably know this, but price the items seperately with a 10-20% discount for a job lot.

The other way is to wait a bit longer and buy what you want without letting the Peavey stuff go. I have recently gone from 2 to 1 amp systems and sometimes its a pain lugging instead of leaving and amp at the venue.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Typically, used equipment is going to go for 50-65 percent of what it actually cost new (as Cruise mentioned). This is almost universally true with guitars. (Unless that are high-demand, out of production or vintage) however, electronics start rolling off when they get older.

There are exceptions of course, but this dealer probably wasn't as wrong as you would like to think. A 10-year-old 350W Peavey SS head is probabably worth more than $50. I would expect to get $100-125 for it at the most, depending on the model. (I saw a like new, rack mount Peavey SessionBass head at Mars the other day for $189. I think they are 350 watts at 4 ohms) His is right on the money with the cabinet. A 10-year-old 210 is worth $150 at the most. You can buy a brand new one that is more efficient, better specs and warrented for $300.

As for the wireless, well, wireless technoloy is continuously advancing, so anything more than a couple of years old is sort of obsolete. It is like trying to sell a 386 computer.

It is of course, your decision, but you are almost certain to get more money and sell it quicker if you piece it out. What are the chances of you finding a buyer who wants exactly that rack? There is always someone looking to pick up another piece of this or that. Especially power amps and cabinets.

I understand your frustration. I paid a more than $600 for a bass about three years ago and I see them selling on ebay all day for $200-250. The age of the internet has certainly made the musical equipment business a buyer's market. The internet and huge chains like GC and Mars have driven down prices significantly in the past few years. The average cost of a MIM P bass in a music store is less now than when they came on the market in the early 90s. You bought your stuff in a market that doesn't exist anymore.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California remind you all that TalkBass has a wonderful "classifieds" section where you can advertise your gear to your fellow TalkBass members. Direct trading (rather than auctions) is keenly encouraged. :D

Help a fellow member get some better gear!
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Many thanks to all of you for your insights and suggestions. I really appreciate it and each one of you had some useful thoughts for me to consider.

Big Wheel, I knew about the TalkBass classifieds, but I honestly think it would cost more to ship my setup than it appears to be worth, if what the rest here are saying is true and I have great confidence that they are right.

So I guess I'll give at least my Ibanez bass to my son who has loved it since the day I bought it and the the practice amp, also. Chasarms really opened my eyes about the value of used basses. God, why would a beginner ever buy anything but used equipment? It is such a bargain.

I will check E-Bay as was suggested to get a better fix on the price, then try to do a classified ad or post a notice at Mars' bulletin board...if they'll let me advertise used equipment.

I really want to get rid of both cabs and the amp as a set because we are moving out of state and every POUND of stuff adds to our moving cost. If push comes to shove and moving day comes without a sale, I may donate the stuff to a highschool band program. Maybe I can take a small charity tax deduction for doing that or not. Just do it for kindness...what a concept!! :)
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you itemize you could donate some of it. IMO giving it to your son would be pretty cool, too.

I like used, too. Best value around... most times;)

You could post it here and say you prefer a local sale.
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    [christmas music on]
    you can always donate the old peavey bass head to a kid in Mexico who could use it and love it... :)
    [/christmas music off]