How does one really go about selling a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by vjfourfreshmen, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Hi all,
    Ok, so let's say I really want to sell one of my basses. What is the absolute best way to go about it? Should I put it at a shop on consignment? Should I try to sell it from my home? Should I put a million ads on the internet? Should I try to sell it on ebay (can't ship it myself)?
    What do you guys do?

Thanks for all the replies,
    Vince Johnson
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In an area as densely populated as where you are, I would think that you could sell a bass fairly easily.

I would start with all of the free online classified options including here at TB, all hail Bob G's classifieds and probably

I found a buyer for my Swingmaster in just three days using just those listed above and have had a couple of seemingly serious inquiries after I closed the deal.

There are many other classified sites out there. If you aren't getting enough bites, throw in the local paid classified options.

Ebay would probably be my last resort for selling it, but it is certainly possible. No shipping can be a problem if you want to sell on ebay.

If you are patient and are asking a fair price, you should be able to sell it. Of course, the more expensive the bass, the smaller the market you have. It may take longer.

I wouldn't put it on consignment at a shop until I had exhausted the rest of my options. If people are willing to drive to your place to play it, they are probably serious buyers.

If you have a good relationship with a luthier tell him or her that you are interested in selling. I am sure that they would be willing to pass that info along to anyone in their shop looking to buy. Unless of course they have something very similar that they are trying to sell! :) He or she will also give some sense of the bass's fair value.
  3. thanks for the informative and helpful post!!!
  4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm selling a bass at the moment and I listed it at, (here), Bob Gollihur's bass classifieds page, and (joining is free and you get one free reusable ad slot).