How does one remove knobs from a SX?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Feb 11, 2006.

1. I have the SJB-57,and I want to change the knobs,but I don't want to mess it up.They for some reason don't have screws to remove them.
  2. MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Well since one of mine is in the process of falling looks like they are held on with some cheapo glue. not surprising :meh:
  3. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    You remove them by levering them up. Use something like a flat head screw driver with something underneath to protect the bass.
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Here's a thread on a similar topic in the amps forum I'm sure its more or less the same idea.
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have swapped knobs on 2 SX basses, and they didn't have any glue. They were on simply with friction.
    They slid off.
  6. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I use two spoons on opposite sides of the knob as levers to pry the knob straight up, and off it comes. Place a rag under the "bowl" of the spoon so you don't blemish the surface of the bass.
  7. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use a salad fork!! LOL

The tines are wider than usual, as well as the spaces in between, so it fits perfectly. I also put a rag underneath, and use the fork as a lever!