Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Does One Write Of One's Life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Oct 17, 2004.

1. I want to write an "About Me" thing for my website, but I don't know what to put in it.

Should I do it in continuous prose, or as questions, eg favourite food, band, position, etc?

I dunno.

2. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    well, i think doing it as big paragraphs is a big no no. Short questions is good. I suppose you could always go into great detail on that too :hyper:

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    yeah just keep it simple.

favorite Sandwich:
    measurments: ;) ;)

4. Very interesting question, Steph. That is something that people are generally poor at. I find stating facts - like in those damn forwards you send me - to be very impersonal. What do you find out - that a person prefers cats to dogs? I'd much rather hear your thoughts on music, on life. Talk about the things that make you happy - what you do with your life. Those are the things that make you unique - not your favourite kind of food.

Leigh

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Write it out in verse. Then after a while you can turn it into a long-winded diatribe-like song, say thirty or forty verses to start. Add a new verse every month or two.

Okay I'm kidding...or am I? :eyebrow:

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    One should realise, one is neither a proper noun, nor at the beginning of one's threa title. One is infact an abstract noun, as one is an abstract concept - Hence, one does not need to be capitalised.

OMG MAETS!!! A GURL ~!! HUHUHUHUHU.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Use the annoying third person. An example:

George is getting upset!

Jimmy like!

8. first thing to do is ask yourself "does anybody care?" in the case of your favorite food or band, the answer is probably no. position, maybe, if it's interesting enough.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Whatever you do, make sure it's a pretentious as possible. Apparently that's what I do on my website. :scowl:

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I decided to go with an official bio, and then a more informal "ramblings" page, where I could write more in my own personal style. As that page grows, I have it set up with the webmaster that we'll simply add topical navigation links to make each subject (or rant) easier to find and access. I don't know if that's "acceptable" or not, but it works for me.

By the way, are you or are you not the TB user formerly known as simply, "Stephanie"?

11. Nup.

Hey - you have that cool font I like. "Inkpen Script"?

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I dunno. Jazz font, maybe?

13. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Most personal websites and bios tend to be as pretentious as hell. If someone cares enough to read it, then right on. Usually a paragraph is enough to do the job.

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Throw in lots of action, violence, lurid sex, Communist plots, dashing heroes and femme fatales, battles in the exotic orient and atop gigantic airships!

It doesn't matter if it's true, just as long as it's good.

15. Use the LESS is MORE approach or simply KISS
    Enough said :cool:

16. If you're on top of the gigantic airship with an eye patch and one arm raised in victory, the other around Pierce Brosnan- drifting off into the sunset... all the better.

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What's the purpose of your website? Who's your intended audience? If you're really just writing to please yourself, then what sites do the "about me" section really well (ie. to your taste) and what's their recipe?

Wulf

18. This is our keyboardist's bio on our page:

19. Write it all on a grain of rice.

Just try and keep it interesting. The name of the cat you had in third grade does not appeal to me. The story of how you broke your arm in the international soap box demolition derby does.:D

Rock on
    Eric