Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does string gauge effect string balance?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I've got an exelent to play,Ibanez BTB705OL five string bass 35" scale.But I think the B is a bit muddier than the rest of the strings and the E has a little bit more output.Now i've got a set of Daddario EXP170-5SL (coated) gauge 0.45-0.65-0.80-1.00-1.30 on.
    How does string gauge effect string balance?
    Should a lighter B ex. 1.20 help to balance the sound?Does tapered strings balance better.Or is it even so that it is my combo, EBS drome 1x12" working betwen 60-18khz, that can not respond properly to the B string?

2. If you feel the sound of the B is deep and loud enough but miss clarity, I don't think it's your amp. You could try experimenting with the strings. D'addario Slowounds has a tapered B which is very clear. DR (especially Fat-beams) have good clear b-strings to. It's hard to say anything general about gauge, though it seems that lighter gauge will give you clarity, while thicker strings give you more fundamentals. That said, TI Powerbass set has a good b-string to which is only .118. So I guess there no shortcut besides trying out different strings. Fatbeams (.125) and Slowounds (.130 tapered) are a good place to start I think.

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks for Your answer.
    Is it possible to increase stringbalance, by EQing special frequensies on my bass and/or amp

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    One more Q
    I'm not familiar with TI Powerbass brand
    Where can I find it
    I'm living in Sweden near Gothemburg ( not so far from You,I think)

5. EQ: you can try boosting some midrange freq's or bass freq's (depending on which string you want to boost) to see if that helps bring out the particular string you're missing. But I tend to think that compensationg for bad string balance with the eq allways end up with a bad compromise. It's much better to get the balance right from the start, with prober string height and pickup height, and a good set of strings.

TI is short for Thomastik Infeld. A much loved string brand here on the board. Powerbass is the type I tried, which is a nickle roundwound. I didn't like them and took them right off, but a lot of other people do, so you might too.

:)

6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    May I ask Wht You disliked with the TI's (besides the price.At least in sweden they cost a fortune)