How does the 15% trade up at GC work?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Do they give you 15% on the credit you use or on anything you buy up to $500?

If you trade in something and they give you $100 for it, does it mean $115 in stored credit, meaning if I put it towards a $200, I have to cover $85 out of my pocket?

Or I'll use the $100 store credit, and the item will be $170, meaning $70 out of my pocket?

I could not figure it out, so if a TBer who works at GC or someone who already used this deal knows the answer, that would be great.

Thanks!

2. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    It works like this - you bring in a piece of gear worth $1000.
    They give you maybe, if you're lucky, $100 for it
    and if you buy a new item with that $100 they will take off 15% of the cost of the new item.

The details are actually at the bottom of the coupon on the Web site.
    http://gc.guitarcenter.com/tradeup/?source=4XBATITU7

For the record, just lately I had a great customer service experience with GC (imagine that) but I would never sell anything to a retail store unless the pawn shop was closed :D

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    yeah gc sucks for trade ins

4. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Check out the list of excluded brands before you make any plans...

"The following manufacturers are excluded at their request: Adam monitors, AKG, Ampeg, Apogee Duets, Apple, Audix, Bose, Crate, Crown, dbx, Digitech, Edirol, some Epiphone and Gibson, ESP, EVH, Fender, Gretsch guitars, Jackson, JBL, KRK, Lexicon, Mackie, Martin, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, QSC, some Roland and Boss, Shure, Soundcraft, Squier, SWR, Taylor and select Korg, Marshall and Vox"

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    You left out the step about grabbing your ankles and clinching your teeth... ;):bag:

You are better off selling the gear elsewhere and then buying what you want.

6. Oh, well, I have nothing that is NOT one of these brands.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think it means they'll give you 15 percent of what your gear is worth.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021