1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how does the 50's classic p sound and feel compared to the fsr ash p

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p-bass88, Sep 4, 2008.

1. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    i was at GC 2 days ago and tried out the ash fsr p and it sounded amazing! idk if it was the ash body but it was like a musical orgy lol. the thick neck felt MUCH more comfortable compared to my squire jazz. my question is, sound and feel wise, how does the ash p compare to the 50's classic p?

2. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    What is an "ash fsr p"?
    Are you speaking text messaging lingo?

Maybe I'm too old to understand........

Mike

3. HarderTheyFlo

HarderTheyFlo

Aug 31, 2007
    Buffalo
    its just a kind of MIM fender. It has an ash body with no paint so its wood tone.

FSR is kinda its brand name

4. FSR stands for Factory Special Run. It's what the bass is called though.

5. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    ha bass txting. but really, has anyone played these two basses and compared them?

6. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Maybe you can go back to the GC and compare your FSR to say, the Sting P or the Squier Classic Vibe P?

Nothing beats comparing them yourself.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The necks are different.

The FSR has a modern 9 1/2" radius and has a Fender B size neck 1 5/8" at the nut with a rosewood fingerboard.

The 50's P has a maple neck/fingerboard with a C neck 1 3/4" at the nut and a vintage style 7 1/4" radius.
    Basicly, a slightly bigger neck with a rounder fingerboard radius. Also has an alder body

Play them both and see which one you like best.

The FSR's are pretty cool, and you don't see them every day. I've played them both, and might have a SLIGHT preferance for the FSR for cosmetic reasons only. I like the look of the Natural Ash with the tort. I really don't care for the aluminum p/g's on the 50's P. They both play and sound like P basses should IMO.

8. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    :help:Not bashing here cause in my heart of hearts I want to pick up a P since I bought a 50's P in the early 60's and a 60's J in the late 60's, but I am confused by the dazzling array of (superficial?) choices some dozen or more P basses by Fender alone? Makes an old guy like me dizzy. Guess I'll get a G&L L-100 if one shows up. The 2008 American standard is getting good reviews though.

9. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    i played an american p at the sore and it was great but simply too much money for me.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    If you like the American Precisioin best, try and talk the store down on the price.

My new American P only set me back $120 more than the 50's P ($680 street price) , and that included the case, that doesn't come with the 50's P.

11. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Lots of choice is a good thing in my opinion, but if you're stuck, the new American Standards are, well, the standards, and you can't go wrong.

12. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    can you really haggle prices down? i never knew buying a bass was like buying a car lol. if i can get the american standard, great. but if i can, i thgink i will go for the fsr only because it sounds soooooooo good.