How does the Fender Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass Lacquer age?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeyv123, May 17, 2017.

1. mikeyv123

mikeyv123

Nov 20, 2013
    Hey,

I'm thinking of buying the jazz bass with the nitro lacquer finish because I played the road worn version and loved the sound of the pickups even when compared to an American Jazz. I also like the idea of the nitro wiping off and looking worn over time. I didn't buy the Road Worn because I didn't like the idea of it being pre-worn.

Anyway...
    Do you have a 60's Jazz with the lacquer? Can you show me pics of how it ages and how it looks if it's worn? Does the shininess fade? I'm also unsure about the orangey tint that they put on the neck...I'm not sure why they would have done that...the Road worn bass is lighter than that by a lot....Does the orangeyness settle at all?

Lookin' forward to hearing your experience with buying a new instrument with a lacquer finish and what it's like after some time passes.

Thanks!

2. I have a 2009 Jaco sig that is lacquer finish. I go hot and cold with it, where I will play it a lot, then hardly ever play it for a while. It doesn't get consistent play like my main basses do.

It lives most of the time in its case, so it's not getting hit with climate changes, sunlight, or other issues that would cause premature wear. Due to that, it doesn't have a lot of wear.

The finish has dulled a bit, and has lost that super glossy finish, and does have some very minor wear marks on the back and where my thumb rests when playing. I don't slap on it, so no marks there either. As it doesn't have a pickguard, I can't judge the plastic vs the finish, but besides the minor dullness and a little wear, it's in very good shape.

I'm not noticing and discoloring, but the finish is a little cracked around the neck plate, there the neck has been removed often to set the truss rod.

So with good care, the finish will last, but it will dull a little with age

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021