1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How does the PLB Suitcase work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lord Henry, Dec 8, 2006.

1. In the last month I've read two great reviews of the PJB suitcase combo. Looking at the spec it uses 5" speakers. I like to use 12" because I find that I can't get the low end that I want out of 10". So how can they get a good bass sound out of 5".

I've not played through one, and I'm not knocking them, I just want to learn.

Cheers

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's not so much that a small speaker can't reproduce bass, but rather how much air it can push so that you get both bass and volume. Many 410 cabs generate lower bass and more volume than 118 cabs, etc. From what I understand, Phil's larger cabs, with 8, 10, 16 or more 5" speakers sound great, and the large number of small speakers work together to provide a very good bass response (although the larger cabs are extremely heavy).

I've played through the Briefcase but never through the Suitcase. However, from other reviews and my experience with the Briefcase and the SixPack, four 5" speakers are not enough to generate the kind of volume in the bass frequency region to do even a moderate sized gig. My guess is that unit would sound similar to a good 110 cab. The Briefcase has beautiful tone, but doesn't put out enough sound to do even a small, quiet gig IMO and IME.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I haven't played a PJ yet, but speaker size is not completely relevant to frequencies. Speaker size is relevant to air movement though. For example, when in a club, you feel the pounding bass from the 18 inch subs, but listen to those high end home sound systems that usualy have narrow towers for cabinets, and hear just how low and sweet the deep bass is from those 5 inch speakers.

Bose is one of those companies ( I personally ain't crazy about the tone) that can reproduce very low frequencies using 4 1/2 inch speakers (101, 402, 802, etc...)

4. Tim669

Tim669

Dec 21, 2004
    St. Louis
    I actually had an opportunity to use his prototype Suitcase and 4B at a gig a few months back and I was duly impressed. The club seats about 250 and it was a full crowd that night. Also that room really seems to eat up low frequencies, but that rig really did the job. I play a 5 string bass in that band and I report no problems with the B string either. It is really a wonderful rig overall. I have played just the Suitcase before as well, but not in a live application so I can't really speak to that. Actually, while I'm thinking about it, I have heard 2 ERB's played through the Suitcase at once and THAT was pretty unbelievable! Both players sounded like they had their own amps! Very clean and precise sound! I just wish that I had the cash for one of my own...the whole rig, that is.

5. Good answers, thanks for those.

It's a good point made above, and one that I should have worked out, that any speaker can reproduce any frequency (within reason). None the less, I've always found that a 4x12 (my favourite setup) gives a lot more punch than the 8x10s that I've used.

I'm sure that a stack of 5"s can give a great tone but can you still get the punch?

Cheers