1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does the re-into of the Coronado impact the Vintage market?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alienstarguest, Nov 3, 2013.

1. alienstarguest

alienstarguest

May 30, 2009
    How does the re-into of the Coronado impact the Vintage market?
    I just read some threads here on the new Coronado and Starcaster line of guitars and basses.

It was only today that I learned that those models were now out.
    What was odd and got me started digging before I knew any of this,..... was that I noticed on Ebay folks were asking a lot more for their Coronados (and likely Starcasters), than they were 3 months ago. Maybe its just an anamoly, but there is hardly any Coronado guitars (6 strings), listed for less than 2K. The bass market seems in line with that too. Just a few months ago it seemed like there were plenty that were well under 2K, and I mean WELL under. Whatcha all think.

I knew these had to be coming out of Asia. Even back in the late 60s and 70s, the production process for these hollow bodies was very costly.
    Anyone have a gauge on quality yet? I am a sucker for those basses. I'd hardly gig with one, but dang if I don't want em.

2. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I don't think the new reissues have had any impact on the vintage market and i don't think they ever will. People's asking prices for vintage guitars on Ebay has always been all over the map. You probably just happened to see a few realistically priced ones a while back, and now you're seeing the norm... People asking 2-5 times more than what the instruments actually sell for.

99% of the grossly overpriced instruments stay on up on Ebay for years at those prices. They virtually never actually sell at those prices. And now that Ebay has done away with listing fees altogether (they only charge final value fees after an item sells, or for upgraded listings), I'll bet that trend will become even more common - sellers asking ridiculous prices for years, just waiting for a sucker to come along.. because it's free!

As far as the quality of the Coronados, the vintage ones have never been regarded as very collectable or very sonically pleasing compared to the other Fender models. I don't think a foreign-made reissue it's gonna change the overall sentiment most vintage collectors have for them. I am intrigued by the Starcaster though, however I'm not getting my hopes up that a Chinese-made Fender will be anything to write home to momma about. It just looks kinda cool to me.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed totally with thebrian.