Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does the Stingray/Sterling compare to a Rickenbacker...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AstralTraveler, Aug 9, 2004.

1. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    Never played or heard a Rick in person, but I have heard the Stingray/Sterling....how do these compare? I really liked their tone better than the Fender Jazzes and P-basses i've tried. Looking for the ultimate cutting, thick, floating bass tone.

2. Ricks are horrible for slapping, but they have a good warm sound.

3. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    yeah well i don't slap at all, so that's not really a factor for me. I prefer the bob daisley/chris squire approach.

4. Bullputton..the problem is your technique..not the bass.

5. motorhall

motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    If you preferred the Stingray/Sterling sound over the Jazz bass, you will find the same to be true with the Ric, even though it has its own unique tone. Bob Daisley, Chris Squire and Geddy Lee were all influential on my playing, but I can't get a sound I like with a Ric or a Jazz (I've had both). The Sterling has the mix of punch and treble that I really like.

The tones of a Ric, Jazz, and Stingray are all so widely different that I don't consider them comparable. They each do their own thing so you have to go with whatever speaks to your particular tastes. I'm partial to humbuckers, myself.

6. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Like comparing apples, oranges, and pineapples. As far as slapping a Rick, the late Rick James did the video for (and I am fairly certain recorded) Superfreak with a Rick. :D

7. I was Rick James, bitch! R.I.P.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Search for a band called Oedipus, Wrong Robot posted a thread about them a couple of months back, the bassist uses various Ricks. He plays fingerstyle, slaps, taps, etc; which are what most people would say a Rick can't do well.

I have slapped a Rick before and thought it sounded really awesome.

9. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have both a Stingray 5 and a couple of Ricks and I use them all for the same stuff. I can slap on both. The Rick takes a little more getting used to but the tone is rather unique as opposed to the Stingray. I like both and if I have a choice, I will play the Rick in a second. Most of the Nashville crowd does not fancy them but I have been using them here for the last 16 years and oh well!!! :D

10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I also own an SR5 and a Ric - although my Ric is a fretless 4001. Like others have said apples and oranges.

For me, I find the Ric to be much more comfortable to play.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No, it's not. I have two rics (I'm borrowing one).. I play MANY different slap techniques, and RIC's just aren't built for slap. I used to slap mine all the time and it sounded like a very hard pluck. Also, Ric's are made for high gauge strings (Rotosound 66ers 45-105 :p.) and those aren't the best strings to slap on either. My warwick sounds A LOT better for slap with the Rotosound FM66ers.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My first good bass was Rickenbacker 4000 (the bridge pickup only) and it was a great slapping bass. I also remember in college that the hottest bass player on campus who played for the gospel choir used a Ric 4001. He was a Larry Graham clone. I had a very positive experience using a Ric for slap.

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a 4003.. Sux0rz to the max for slap. I am borrowing a 4001 and it sounds A LOT better for slappage.

14. Your totally entitled to that. :)
    Im just tired of hearing "Rics are one trick ponies" posts As much as John Turner is tired of hearing snide comments of extended range instruments when it simply isnt true.
    I am a firm believer you can play any style on any bass.

Im no slapper..so i cannot prove my point by slapping some cool riff..but even if i could im sure it wouldnt be enough to change your mind being a Ric owner as well. But..if your interested there are several guys on the HC bass boards i noticed who play Rics and have some slap stuff uploaded in the past...sounds decent enough to me.

All i am really saying is...It can be done. :cool:

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Mr Claypool slaps just fine on his Ric

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The aforementioned Mr. Claypool (ganked from the Rickenbacker Forum):

17. I don't think anyone can really deny whether you can slap on a Rick, but the resulting tone is not everyone's cup of tea.... at least not as popular as the Jazz or Stingray tone.

Hell, you can slap a tennis racket. But if you don't like the sound, it doesn't mean that tennis sucks, right?

Some like the sound of a slapped Precision. I think they sound like rubber bands. But, play them with fingers or a pick, and they sound great to me.

Personal preference, variety is the spice, blah blah :D .