Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How does the SWR Big Ben Sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aceofbass88, Feb 15, 2003.

1. aceofbass88

aceofbass88

Jul 23, 2002
    I've been looking for one in all the guitar/ music stores in my state, but nobody has one, could anyone tell me what this would sound like, is it really loose and or tight with nice low end?
    thanks

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I believe it's one of the fastest 18's...I'm not a big fan of 18's but with enough power I've heard some good things coming out of it.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very fast for an 18. Essentially sounds like a punchy 15, if you can imagine such a thing. Mine has a Bag End driver, which is the current config., I believe.

4. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I had one with a biamp setup with a goliath 4X10. Honestly I didn't like it that much. I had an SWR SM 400 to power the cabs. I switched over to a Hartke 7000 with 2 4.5XLs that I loved. I am now back to SWR and looking for a son of bertha to complement either my goliath or goliath Jr cabs. I think the 15 is a little punchier, I was something that will complement the 10's with a 5 string (low B).

5. before I hooked up my current system, I was an SWR guy. I was triamping and at the bottom of the whole thing was a Big Ben. I often used it as a stand-alone cab and was never disappoined with it. it is quick and punchy, but it'll deliver a solid low end wallop! I may be selling mine soon...

from the depths of low,

Stew