1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Does This Guy Do It?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Orangeclawhammr, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    euh... it was like a very bad bass line played solo ...

2. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    vt
    The "hair pie bass solo"....... something seems a little "fishy" :ninja:

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    His right hand technique makes sense from an "economical way of playing" point of view I guess. Other than that, that solo was pretty bad. He seems like a classical guitar player trying his hand at bass for the first time or something. Just my opinion though.

4. Damn. The guy is pacin' back & forth like a first time father in the delivery room. And you don't even want me to start on that slop he's playin'. Right there proves it,if it was easy,everybody would play an instrument.

5. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

May 12, 2011
    I don't know... I kinda like it - I especially like the use of the chords - not many bass players these days play chords. Although chords do sound rather "muddy" on a bass they brighten higher on the neck.

6. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    France
    Is he drunk? Because me drunk I could do a lot better. But the sound is good.. Ok it's all about feeling, I know, just kidding, I like what he did. ;)

7. The bass line has to be good. After all, Captain Beefheart composed it. Rockette Morton played bass on four of the Captain's albums.

8. BudD

BudD

Jan 20, 2011
    Detroit
    Orange Claw Hammer: I see by your user name that you're obviously a fan of Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band. I'm note sure everyone else understands who this bassist is, or who Captain Beefheart -- the Delta blues dadaist/abstract expressionist painter -- was.

"Trout Mask Replica," the 1969 album on which "Hair Pie" can be found, is probably the most avant-garde rock album of the 1960s. I remember reading a Rolling Stone interview in which Beefheart talked about bringing in a counselor to talk to his trees on his northern California property during the rehearsal of the album in order to calm the trees.

Here's a link to a BBC documentary on Captain Beefheart, with commentary by his former guitarist Ry Cooder, "Trout Mask" producer and high school friend Frank Zappa, and "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groenig, who like me, had his teen-age mind blown by the album. The documentary may explain everything (or maybe not):

Captain Beefheart Complete Documentary - YouTube

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    People who don't know about the Magic Band shouldn't be hatin' on Rockette Morton. Plus he runs on laser beans. Respect.

10. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    He's using a pick and finger picks, acoustic guitar technique.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    "That guy" came in at #2 in a poll (Playboy, I believe) of best bassist in the world. Paul McCartney was #1.

Rockette (Mark Boston) is a friend of mine. That's a Squier Protone he's playing. I almost bought it myself, but he beat me to it.

12. I've been a Beefheart fan for nearly 40 years. I have most of his albums as well as works by the Magic Band members. I even found one by Rockette Morton on CD Baby! Fun stuff! Just watch out if you get Drumbo's book. It's nearly 900 pages!

13. Sinse all of my technique in finger style, I don't suppose I'll ever be able to learn that solo.

14. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    Yeah I got that impression as well. There are multiple timing and tempo changes in that bass solo, so it does sound a little "drunk". I wish he'd stand still though lol.

15. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    That wasn't very good...

16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    That was just awful

17. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Just grab a pick and learn it! Never hurts to be versatile.

18. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    This is one of the first unintentional "shreds" videos I've seen. Absolutely no editing, it was that much suck.

19. Bass Solo a 2 Plumb suite a 10!!!