How does this look?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lizooki, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    How does this look?

My wife and kids said the project needed white on it ..... just too much Seafoam Green w/out a pick-guard.
    I don't want a pick-guard so I added covers.....

UPDATED!

The wife and kids also didn't like the look of the covers, so I went ahead and made a pick-guard based on a mid-fifties pbass. Just a few changes for the humbucker.

SL730142.jpg

So.....whaddayathink?

BETTER?

Matt

2. too much green for my taste, and the covers look like cheap plastic to me.
    And please do something about those strings at the headstock

3. jdbernard

jdbernard

May 29, 2007
    I like it. It's... different. :)

4. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    to each his own, but i think it kind of looks like a bar of soap. something you'd see if GC started selling hygeine products (Fender Soap).

5. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hmmm... looks to me like it's asking for a matching white control plate.

That, and it's in desperate need of having those horrendous string ends clipped.

6. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    I do like the plexi control plate, that's pretty cool, neat idea

7. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    The covers are actually wood. Fender soap! :p
    But they are not hardware attached....sticky foam.

The important term here is "project", as in, the strings are there just to get it playing.....I gotta go get some flats.

The biggest trouble w/ a pick-guard would be having to make one.

But thanks for the input...thats what I was wanting.

Matt

8. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    New pic in original post.

9. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    What kind of pickup is that? I could almost use that in a frankenbass that I want to assemble some time...

10. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Some kind of humbucker I guess. There were 2 of them originally, but someone had taken a coil out of one and put it in the other case. I just put both coils back in the same case.

Matt

11. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    I like the white pickguard, how 'bout some chrome pup covers? Or at least a bridge cover

12. I 2nd. the chrome! Lots of chrome.

13. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Yeah, I'm gonna go w/ a chrome bridge cover. One thing I discovered when playing around w/ the wood covers....I like playing right over the pup....so I don't think I get a pup cover....but ya never know.

Matt

14. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    Yeah, I can't use pup covers for the same reason, but I did go with a bridge cover until I got a Badass bridge. Unfortunately, the new bridge is a bit longer than the standard so I couldn't fit the ashtray over it.

15. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    You have the right idea going for the pickguard. I would suggest a white pearl blank, and work to a modified '51 Tele p/g profile to fit over and 1" below the pup and have the pots coming from the rear routed, with out the clear plex. Make sure the p/g follows the horn profiles as closely as possible. you can work with an old Pbass pickguard to make templates, until you get one you like. Nice color and neck, from what I can see. JMHO

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021