1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does this Rickenbacker look...fair price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, May 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Moosehead1966 likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The bridge is probably a functional improvement but impacts looks and resale value. Seems overpriced to me.

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Yeah, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of stuff on Kijiji is usually 2-3 times market value. This one actually seems reasonable.
    Are these 33" scale?

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Even at pre-C19 times I wouldn't have paid more than $1K for that bass, let alone now. Scale is 33.75"

basmansam likes this.
  5. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Bare in mind those are Canadian dollars .

6. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    He's not really negotiable either.
    Oh well...it will pass.

7. That bass makes me sad.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  8. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I know, but it's still way above 1400CDN that I would have offered pre-C19

9. I've never seen finish checking that like on a Ric.

I think a recent-model 4003 is a better-made instrument than the 4001. I don't know what 4003's sell for in Canada, but I wouldn't think it would be all that much more than this.

Tony In Philly likes this.
  10. conrad H

conrad H

Feb 27, 2016
    Canada
    If 4001 are the same as 4003 the scale is 33.25" .
    You can get a brand new 4003 for a little more.

Tony In Philly likes this.
  11. Methaneman

Methaneman Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Chicago suburbs
    The Badass bridge is an improvement over the original IMO. That's a nice color, looks like Autumnglo. Don't see that too often. The neck looks like it needs some TLC. I think I would pass for that kind of money. Eh?;)

12. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    I wouldn't touch it. The finish looks like the worst checking I have ever seen. That means could have other issues.

I got a free '67 Hofner at one time, that had stayed in the case in a hot attic in South East Texas for maybe 20 years. (Our weather Temps vary from 22 F to 107 F, and Humidity can be between 99% to 33% - but the attic would have been much worse) It was checked, but not that bad.

The Ric looks scary to me. Maybe someone tried to refinish it or something and did it all wrong. But who knows.

13. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    As a fellow Canadian, do not pay that much for that bass. You should be able to find a nice used ric for around $1500.00.
    I should also mention that the rickenbackers that my friends have bought over the last few years were in much better condition than that one.

radapaw likes this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Pretty sure they stopped making the 4001 in 1981, so either the year is wrong or it's a 4003. Either way, non original, it's overpriced. In the crap market we have, I wouldn't pay more than $1,000 American.

radapaw, jamro217 and ajkula66 like this.
  15. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

It looks beat up and way overpriced but what do I know, I'm an American, eh?

16. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Could be some hundreds cheeper, but maybe not. Else is fine.

17. I wouldn't pay that for it.

I'm a fan of lacquer checking, but that's overkill. The bridge, although likely more functional than a Rickenbacker bridge (even then, they seem to get more than their fair share of grief. Anybody with a screwdriver, a file and some hex keys can turn a Ric into a very playable bass without the need for the relief to match the fretboard radius exactly) looks absolutely horrendous and it looks like it's had a refret. Not an issue, but judging by the state of the finish on the fretboard I'd have my doubts as to whether it was done properly.

So yeah, I'd avoid.

18. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

For about $1,400USD for an Autumnglo Rickenbacker
    I don't know... It's not outrageous
    It really depends on a first person look over, if it's just really bad checking and a bad ass, it's really not that crazy, a regular Rick bridge I would think would cover the evidence of the badass pretty easily.

19. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Townsville
    I'm not worried about the bridge, it's the checking I'm worried about. That thing needs a refin, looks like it's actually coming off. Another thing to check for on old Ricks is fretboard separation and the degree of severity if it has any. Many sellers don't show close-ups of the neck by the nut, where it occurs.
    Price seems a little high considering the condition of the finish.

20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    If Geddy owned it, maybe