1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how does Wish get a Felix-esque distortion on a Rumble 50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass V, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    at the earlier part of the video he easily finds some tasty spit n fart grind before engaging a bit of overdrive which then sounds squishy and weird, but does the excessive Mountain-lyke grit come from simply overdriving the SS circuitry on this particular smaller amp? I surprised he put this out cos most will say it sounds like crap but I want more as long as it can hang without falling apart, and I've never heard anyone else accomplish this on a Rumble. what gives?

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    word from Wish, says it's the webcam mic distorting... lol

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's what it sounded like to me. Wish: here's what the bass sounds like "Grrrrrrrrrr", here it is with overdrive "Grrrrrrrrrrr". I figured it was mic overload.

4. Does anyone make a pedal that would emulate cheap webcam mic distortion? :smug:

Of course this begs the age old question...
    What’s the best cheap webcam mic for Metal? :rollno:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Not yet. But one company makes a fuzz pedal based on the input preamp of a 4-track cassette recorder.

Demo Tape Fuzz

Old Garage-Bander and Bass V like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that sounded rather great, but far from Felix's signature dry wide-wave spitty farts that came out his pushed SUNN rig, and I guess there are pedals which have been made to emulate that. in another thread the B:assmaster showed promise and is sensibly priced, but I was kinda hoping I could finally become a bigger Rumble fan with this newfound small amp alternative.

7. In the olden days most bassists used a Gibson bass with the big humbucker or had a Gibson EB-0 pickup put on their basses and drove their tube amps into distortion, that's how Felix got his tone and also how Mel Schacher got his great tone, big 20-28K EB-0 pickups and tube heads. Still works today. Jack Bruce was another and they all got great tones from their basses

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl9tjfHLmGd5l98PFN_uzbsmWueugSJYzGdYrSRcpItP8UZHce.

Bass V likes this.
  8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    No way!! Man the old tape cassette tascam porta studios. Actually had a really good sound for bass. And when overdriven sounded pretty darn good too.

9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    trust me, I've been dying for an old mudbuck'd EB forever and have my eye on a cool one, but those guys could mimic their sound on other basses (even tho Felix stuck to his Gibsons) thru their usual rigs, and I can get in the Pappalardi ballpark with most of mine but nailing it perfect is elusive. I'm all SS currently but still think that his sound can be had on the cheap and smaller scale cos I'm nearly there, just gotta find the right combos.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. I think humbuckers work much better for that sound than single coils, also flat wounds help a lot. I use an SVT but they're too loud really to overdrive so I use an EBS Valvedrive with it, it's a tube overdrive, comparatively expensive though. The players I'm thinking of (Felix and Mel) always sounded better with their first basses, Mel had a Jazz bass with an EB-0 pickup. I have an EB-3 and bought a harness with a diode in it like Jack Bruce used, it sounded just like he did through any amp but I could never get the harness to work right. Those three got my favorite sounds although there were many player back then who used something to get the overdrive sound. Even McCartney has that sound in one of the songs on the 2nd side of Abbey Road, Mean Mr Mustard.

Bass V likes this.
  11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, even tho I have J style basses which can get some great grind going with the mid PU maxed and the right amp / settings, my P's do best, especially one with EMG HZs. Mel even did well with his P bass but was running thru those incredible West amps that had a distortion circuit, not sure he used it but he and Jack got some wonderful sounds with all their gear, their classic era basses are my favorite tho too. is there a diagram for the diode wiring? that always intrigued me and whether Felix had anything done on his '69 violin reissue.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. I don't think the West amps had a distortion circuit, he just cranked them. I'm sure there are schematics available but at least the one I had would be kind of complicated, you can buy them, google it, there is one seller on ebay, that's the one I have and there is another you can find through google. Jazz basses have a lot of bottom too with the neck pickup dominating.

Prewired EB-3 Assembly (Passive)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Bass V likes this.