1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How does your band balance promoting gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Aug 5, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm in an original group and recently we've begun to notice a problem that's soon going to become a real issue. Right now my band is somewhat on hiatus until the school year starts, but already we have about 4-6 local gigs booked each month once September hits.

The issue is how do we properly promote these gigs? Should we try to promote each one and potential over-saturate our local market, or should we only promote our "big gigs"? What about out of town gigs? If we factor those in we'll easily be adding an addition 2-3 gigs a month, and thus cluttering our feed even more.

Any advice on how to balance promotion of gigs?

2. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I find that promoting every gig is the best idea, because you want as many people as possible to come along. With my band, we freshen up our setlist because we have enough songs to swap in and out, since most slots are 30-45mins here. I find that keeps the band sounding new to the audience.

3. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    How do you guys promote?

Right now my group is mainly promoting through FB and by fliers. What I've noticed is that whenever a local band I like starts blowing up my news feed on FB I tend to either block them or remove them altogether. Already we've noticed this to happen to us (albeit in very small amounts) whenever we post on FB too often.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    We promote every gig. Usually it's a simple/single post on the bands FB about it. We don't normally send out event invites. Each member will also post about it on their personal FB, I'll post the day of the show for example.

We'll also put up flyers at the venue roughly 2 weeks before the gig.

The venue also promotes on their website, and random websites have the info up as well.

There are also a few very active bloggers in the area that really like us, so they blog and tweet about us and the venue in general which is great! Be nice to everyone at the gig, they may help out promoting for free!

5. Internet and physical fliers. We hang up a ton.

6. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    That's a lot of gigs in a short period of time. You might think of using the smaller gigs to get people to your bigger gigs. Focus on the big gigs on FB and the web, promote the smaller gigs through flyers and word of mouth.

7. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That's what we've been thinking - personally message and ask people out to the smaller ones, and promote the larger, more important ones through our web pages and email lists.

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    For the online gigs, I'd keep an eye on any time you can batch up announcements. i.e. Two gigs in one weekend should equal one Facebook post.

Bands that post too often often get blocked. You want to be a good FB citizen.