How does your bass sound with piezo guys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masamax, Nov 7, 2003.

1. This could have gone in the pickups forum but I actually want it related to the bass brand itself and how it meshes with the rest of the bass. Move if mod feels needed!

I have piezo pups in my Stingray and they sound wonderful, but I have heard terrible ones, Ibanez for example. What basses have you guys seen the best use of piezo in? Honestly I have only tried two, but I have heard of them being used in accoustic guitars, and I assume accoustic basses. Frankly though the sound I get out of these pups alone is a little harsh, but 50/50 with the mags on my SR get's a mellow, round tone out of an otherwise incredibly growly beast.
  2. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    I find piezos add too much of a harsh fret clack type of sound to my fretted (Turner Model 1 & Lightwave Sabre) I turn it right off on the LW, but can add in max 50% on the Turner.

On my Rob Allens & former Turner Ren (both f/l), pure piezo sounds great.
  3. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    The piezo on my fretless Yamaha TRB6P sounds awesome but I've almost never used it before when the bass was fretted, anyway I play 100% piezo or 100% mags, almost never mix them. I think piezos are great pickups for fretless (and acoustic) basses.
  4. I have found my SR5 sounds beautiful mixed with the piezo (it's fretted) and it works really well with chords.
  5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I have an SR5 that was fretless that I put a Moses fretted graphite neck on. I love the sound but the fretless neck still sounded better
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have a Turner Electroline fretless with piezo bridge and magnetic soapbars. I find that I don't like the piezo by itself. It sounds a tad sterile to me, but in combination with the magnetics, it really fills out the sound.
  7. Sei bass + fretless + piezo's = dream sound.

For a fretless, piezo's are brilliant and I would have them fitted to any other fretless bass that I own in the future.

I am not so sure about them on a fretted bass as I have not tried them on one, but for fretted it is the business.