1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does your significant other think about you working the crowd?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I find there are two ends of the spectrum when it comes to significant others and stage presence. There are some who absolutely love watching their significant other work the crowd and having members of the opposite sex drool over them. They love knowing that their man/woman is the shiznit and he/she is going home with them. On the other side, there are those who are threatened by it and very protective. Both sides have their merits and downfalls.

My wife actually likes it when I work a crowd and women are getting into what I'm doing. She finds it cute and attractive.

So what about yours?

2. My wife doesn't like it:meh:. I wish she could be more supportive of my music. She has to, at some point , get over her insecurity. Hopefully she will get better with time, its a delicate dance we do!!!:hyper:
    TR

3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Mine comes to almost every gig and I love her for it. It's funny how these days I sing about 80% of the tunes in our band and I don't feel weird at all about doing it in front of her. And I'm no Caruso either...:p

4. My girl doesn't mind at all. She's also a musician and has guys drooling over her all night, so she gets it.

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    What? A bassist working the crowd? I thought we were just supposed to sit in the corner and play the root eighth notes...

My wife loves it and is very supportive. She calls me her "little rock star". I guess I can't quite my dayjob, though.

6. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    OOH! I had both ends of the spectrum. I remember one night, the Jealous one was all peeved because there was a group of female patrons that were giggling and checking me out. Of course, I was accused of flirting, but that girl is long gone. I had a girlfriend that we used to play in an acoustic duo, and she would encourage me to entertain. I am single now, and do what feels good. If it pleases the crowd, that's good!

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Mine is cool with it, she knows it just goes with the job/territory.

That's not to say that she likes it sometimes, when things get really wild, but she knows that at the end of the night, I'm coming home with her, so it's all good.

8. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    My wie could give a crap. After all our years together she knows when the guitar goes in the case the girls disappear and she is stuck with the sweaty, sticky me.

In fact she'd probably like it if one of those girls took me home and gave me a shower before returning to our bed.:D

9. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah my wife doesn't care. She knows how much of a dork I am. She also doesn't show up to all my shows. She has a life out side of my projects. I feel she supports me by not raising a stink about every little thing about me and my music. I love her for that.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My wife is cool with it. I'm a big fat hairy sweat dripping oaf. She has no worries. I do have a few groupies believe it or not, and was kind of nervous when I introduced everyone after they had been dancing onstage behind me.

My wife thought they were a lot of fun.

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    so what do you do, show 'em your belly ? :D:ninja:

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    My wife is a player too so she knows what ya gotta do!

13. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    They rub it for good luck.

14. Mine is the same way.
    Digs it when women...dig me!!!

She loves to watch women hit on me. Gets a rise out of it because she knows that I'm going home with her.

Kind of like a little game. Sees women hitting on me or something like that, and she just stands back.
    Then at the end of the night, they see her with me going out the door together.
    She's sorta like "Thats right, I got him, and has what he wants".
    "What I want......." house payment, car payments, school tuition for my daughter.................

and of course the "good" stuff after the gig!!!!!;)

15. I've yet to see what mine will do ... still up in the air. She says she understands the need to work the crowd. She just has to understand that is it for show and like others have said "part of the job."

LOL true dat! The last part might be pushing it but +1 on the sweaty part!

But I will tell you this tidbit. At a Hooters one night after catching a local live act, I mentioned practing my cleavage signature. Man I've never seen a woman stop on a dime like that. I mean she threw out the arm, gave me the look & everything in a split second!! Mental note to self, only sign cleavage in situations where she won't find out about it. :bassist:

Otherwise I'll have to provide a backup player until the healing is done & I can see again!!! :D

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm 42, fat and gray. I play in a band with a good looking, 28 year old front man and 2 other guys 12 and 20 years younger than me. You do the math.

However, I still get to LOOK at all the girls that flirt with the other guys so I have that going for me.

17. +100

18. Same here, she's in the same band as me doing the same thing. I don't see the big deal, it's just part of the job.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    She says I'm boirng and won't come see my band, but if I was the lead singer....

She wasn't there the night I got a lapdance from a lady in the crowd for half a set.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    ^ Gotta love the West side man!!