1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how dose sting tension affect tone.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mastershake, May 14, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i had decided to do an experiment one day i tuned down the 'A' string to a Low E same as the 'E' string on my bass to see if a light gauge string would sustain as much or more than the 'E' sting (i couldn't tell the difference) but forgot to factor in that less mass meant lower tension obviously and thats when i noticed something else, the 'A' 'string seemed to have have less present overtones compared to the E string. so i have two questions. how does tension affect tone and why did i perceive the 'A' string to be darker?

2. for me, floppy strings sound a bit darker and rounder...but they also are more "out of tune", because the string moves a lot when vibrating before been plucked, and return late to the original pitch (creating that kind of "fart" sound)

a string with more tension dont move too much when you pluck them, and keep that original pitch more present...

3. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    thats interesting i wonder if a stronger magnet would fix that problem. thanks for the info