Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How dp TBers determine the potential as bass has for pickup swap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 4, 2005.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    How does a bass qualify or disqualify as worthy of new pickups. From what I have read on several forums an MIA fender is a bass worthy of a new set of pickups if the owner finds the existing pickups lack...

Most people usually consider a squier unworthy of a pickup upgrade.

How does one determine the potential a bass has?

Is it the wood used in making the instrument? alder\maple\rosewood fretboard......and so on

Is it construction? or a combination? or different factors

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

can't speak for others but for me if a bass is 1) comfortable 2) plays well 3) is mechanically sound 4) acoustically to my taste 5) meets whatever other peculiar need may be at hand (large control bay is the first to come to mind), but the amplified tone through gear I play through is undesireable, then a pup swap would be a consideration.

For me 1-3 are critical and 4 not far behind. 5 may be an across the board thing or just a requirement for one particular bass, but it could possibly be a major factor. In looking at my basses that would probably include inexpensive and bolt on necks that come to mind. Ideally I'd like all the same model basses but it hasn't worked out quite that exact - close enough.

Basically it comes down to do YOU like the bass regardless of it's tone. What's the point in having a tonemonster you can't stand to play for whatever other reason. At this point, I personally don't buy the wood theory. Maple necks get totally nasty over time whereas rosewood remains virtually unchanged. Appearance I could care less about though but that may give you some idea of how nasty I think maple gets.

Many players have swapped pups in Squires, my overall impression of them is a plus, and I've known of at least a few guys that had more expensive basses they chose to play much less often than their Squire.

I've had a P and pair of J's from MIA fenders and didn't find either set to my liking. I've actually heard better things about the MIM pups. Haven't had any MIM's myself so don't know.

Also some pups suit particular genres, change genre and you may need to change pups. Changing gear will affect the tone of pups and pups that were toasty for one setup won't cut it for another. Lots of variables but I don't see the price of a bass as one of them.

3. For me its simple

If the bass is solid and comfortable to play, and sounds good accoustically, only sounds thin or crappy amplified, then pickups are probably worth replacing

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    +1