Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How durable is a bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 18, 2006.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    I got a new bass, 3-4 months ago, and I'm just a hypochondriac paranoid freak about it. I always think somethings wrong with it. I'm always constantly checking the neck to see if its warped, and my 5th knob crackles when I rotate it, making me wonder more...and my batteries die in a month, but I also play 15+ hours a week. It's just like, I somehow think that normal wear and tear is going to ruin my guitar. Are they really durable, or delicate? I've never really known how much it takes to really ruin a guitar, or warp a neck, etc.

2. It all depends on what normal wear and tear is to you. If you treat it with respect, it will last a lonngggggggggg time. Accidents may happen, it can get bumped, knocked over, scratched, dinged, etc, but it can take alot sometimes. My bass has had some bad falls and you wouldn't know it, fell flat on the strings in a garage from about 3 feet. Needless to say, I freaked, but it was ok. I cringe when I bump my bass, but know it is ok. I even lit an extra POS bass I mess around with on fire, and you cannot tell.

So it can be delicate to minor visual flaws (which do not affect playability/tone at all),

yet

Durable against regular use, and playing a bass should not hurt it. Driving a car does not hurt it. A bass is no good if you are too afraid to play it, so just play as much as you want and it should hold up.

I think there can be a happy median..paranoid enough to care about accidents and general upkeep, yet not letting it affect your playing if you are worried all the time.

Adam :bassist:

3. visa

visa

Dec 17, 2005
    well said.

4. MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, very. I was just worried that like bumps and dings would affect the tone due to some alignment neck problem or something...I don't know. I play it ALL the time, and I'm not afraid, but just sometimes I'll be driving home and I'll hear my case bang around in the trunk and I'm like...oh boy..and I get home and like inspect it 3 times. That's about as paranoid as I'll get it.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    As long as you dont TRY and break it. it probably wont break

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Relax. It's just a tool.
    If it's a good tool, take care of it and it will last you a lifetime.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My 1973 Precision would like to tell you that you don't have anything to worry about. It thinks that basses are pretty hardy and can take their knocks without complaining.

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    If it's a solid body bass of decent build, you can drag it behind you on a leash and it will probably stay in tune. There's very little you can do to a bass that can't be fixed, it's almost impossible to ruin them. McCartney's still using a bass from 1963 every night.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

He had to fix it a couple times though. Reglue neck and stuff.
    Hofners aren't exactly the most rock solid instruments on Earth.

10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Get a Peavey and use that as your gigging/transit bass. They can take a beating better than any bass out there.

11. MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Funny you say get a Peavey...thats exactly what I got...Cirrus 5 BXP.

12. I went to see rancid about 6 years ago and Matt threw his Fender P bass across the stage picked it up and said that it didn't even go out of tune, and I wanted it to break. So he was trying to break it and it didn't. Food for thought

13. MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    LOL

14. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I personally am not too afraid to play my basses, but I do take the utmost care not to ding them and abuse them as much as possible. The thing that I generally worry about is temperature and climate changes (humidity).

We go from freezing winters to steaming hot summers at times, and especially this season. Last week it went from +2*C to -18*C in one day. Heating usually causes the air to be really dry too, whereas the summer can be hot and humid. I've got the humidifier running, but I am not always sure that's enough. But, I guess that's why they install truss rods on these things.

Normal wear and tear should be expected and most instruments should last a lifetime if treated properly.

15. I have got some bargains on basses because the average person saw what they thought was a ruined bass and I just saw a bass that was in need of repair or adjustment. I love to find basses with somewhat bowed necks, bad wiring or pots hanging on the wall - means there is a good chance of getting a real deal.

Peace,
    S