How easily can tweeters be blown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorfish, Aug 26, 2004.

1. spectorfish

Aug 21, 2004
    I want to convert my Ampeg BA 115 combo bass amp into just a cabinet and drive it with a slightly beefier power amp than the packaged 100 watt amp.

The 100 watts isn't powerful enough for my monitoring needs and my goal is to reach a maximum of 250 watts. Since I am making this power jump, I am going to replace the 15" speaker to accomodate the extra wattage and my question is:

Do tweeters blow easily?

Should I upgrade the tweeter along with the 15" driver?

Thanks for the input.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Before we address the tweeter issue, I'd like to address the higher watttage 15'.

1) Be careful here. 15's ain't 15's. Put the wrong speaker in the wrong sized cab, and even a brilliant speaker will sound and perform like garbage. The speaker's Thielle Small Parameters determine the speakers ideal enclosure size, so there's no fudging it.

2) Assuming you can find a speaker that is happy in the size of your enclosure, you'll have to re-tune the porting. See the ports that let the air escape from the cab? They're not random. They're designed to be a certain length and diameter and are therefore tuned to a certain frequency. It's a very important part of the design of a vented cab and has a huge effect on how the cab will respond in the bottom end, both in sound and speaker cone excursion.

The chances of finding a speaker that likes the same cab size and porting as your existing cab are virtually nil. Generally speaking, any speaker replacement will require the cab to be retuned. It's actually not much more work to build a whole new, correctly sized and tuned, enclosure from scratch in most cases.