How exactly do you double thumb?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PhunkyPhish, Jul 22, 2004.

1. PhunkyPhish

Jul 21, 2004
    I have watched that guy on kazaa, and didn't learn much. I don't really have the money for the Victor Wooten video right now, so I thought I'd ask on here. Can anyone explain to me the double thumb technique?
  2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Its basically using your thumb as a pic, down and up, practice that A LOT (using scales, try playing standard tunes this way) so it gets very natural and the upstroke sounds even, then try combining your index and/or middle finger with a standard pluck to get triplets, have a lot of patience and practice it regularly, then start adding creativity!
    Would be good to check the archives for previous threads on the subject, about one Zillion of them ;)
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    On a Wooten Video I have he discusses this some (at least i think this is the same technique your refering too, Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong).

Basically what he says to do, is you want to thump with your thumb, but go "through" the string, so your thumb is now directly under it. Then you can do the upstroke from under the string. This puts you already in the movement to do the pop with your first finger as your already pulling away from the strings with your hand. Takes a lot of work to get consitancy, just like anything else I suppose. Hope that helps.

Also, start off with octave shapes, poping the octave after the down thumb/up thumb. Work in maybe 8th notes to start till your consistancy is good. Then try it on 4ths or 5ths or something one string down. Eventually working up till you can do both the down tumb, up thumb and pop all on the same string. Then you can speed it up to tripplets and work on that timing. (All from Victor's Advice)