how exactly ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by NNbassest, Nov 12, 2004.

1. NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    how exactly do you record a song if your a poor basement band like us? im just wondering, we have a nice song done and dont know how to get it onto the PC...haha were only 13-14 so were not super duper nerds yet...haha i use acid pro just for messing aruond with songs ive DL'd but we want to record on out of his basement. what all special eq. will we need? and how is the drummer recorded?
    i also use a PA to hook my bass into...a 4 channel mixer

thanks a bunch,JJ :bassist:
  2. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    For the most basic PC recording, you can hook a mic into your sound card and record a stereo WAV file in Microsoft's built-in sound recorder. You might even be able to do it w/ Acid, I don't know.

The software/program is one thing. I would say you need a SoundForge or something comparable to do a straight stereo recording like this. But do what you can. You will also need at least 1 microphone w/cable (and probably a stand).

What does the soundcard hookup look like on the back panel of the PC? You may or may not be able to plug the mic cable directly into your soundcard as-is; you might need an adapter of some kind. Follow the speaker cables to find it and figure out what you need to plug the mic into the PC. The choices here are endless, from a basic plug adapter thing to a mic preamp. So I can't answer that question based on what you've told us so far.

Once you've got the gear:
    1) Hook the mic up to the computer.
    2) Put the mic in the middle of the room.
    3) Start the program and hit the "record" button (or whatever)
    4) Play the song. Repeat as needed.

Trust me, if you're playing with 3-4 guys in a basement, it'll pick up the drums. Probably much moreso than you really want....

Get that much done and you can think about multitrack recording afterwards.
  3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm.. I don't know about that 'the middle of the room' part. In fact exactly in the center of a room is technically the worst place, acoustically speaking.

I've had success with the mic right in an upper corner of a room, but you could try anyplace OFF-center. What might not be a bad idea would be to try a few locations and then pick the best one.

Regular-duty soundcards have like zero headroom; you may run into problems with overdriving it. Compression can really fatten-up the sound of your recording, but what might be best if you're really on an equipment or technical budget would be to record it straight - just be sure it's recorded as loud as it can go without clipping - and then use software compression on the computer.

The drum volume is probably pretty much set, so you'll have to adjust everything else to blend right with that.

You can easily run into phasing problems (a distant or thin or swishy effect) if you're recording two speakers with one mic, so if you're recording everything live and on the fly, including vocals through a PA, then turn off one of the speakers - have only one location for each sound source.

It may be good to get someone who knows a little about audio to assist you, so you guys can mainly think about making music.

You know - the more that I think about it: Especially being that you guys are so young, you might get someone with a home studio to make a good digital demo for you for free. It may be worth it to ask around. Heck - a buddy of mine and I have a pretty decent studio that we made just for our own band, and we'd get a kick out recording such a young band. If you can get to Milwaukee, we'll make a kickass recording for you. If you're not nearby, there's probably someone in your area who'd do it too. All you can do is ask - maybe at a local music store.

4. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Joe - You're totally correct, and all the audio/PC advice you provide is spot on. But I'm betting you're way over this cat's head talking compression and overdriving the soundcard...
    Certainly they'll deal with all that stuff if they're so inclined. But first, I'm reading that they want to get a recording of their band on their computer.

NN - It's really a question of goals. Do you want to learn to record music, or do you just want a recording of your band?
    The best way to learn how to record music is to start recording music. As a lucky side-effect, you get recorded. Voila. On the other hand, the best way to get your music recorded quickly (if you lack the know-how and/or gear) is to let someone else do it.
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That sums it up pretty well. I tend to get off on tangents.

Like I told him - they could probably get someone to do a demo-quality recording in their home studio. I would!

Hey - where IS NNbassist?? Dude: where are you? Chime-in here once in a while on your own thread, will ya!

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ...Another thing, Supermonkey: Over his head?? When I first started on TB, it was just about ALL over MY head! That's what has made TalkBass so great, and so valuable for me - I'm soaring with the eagles, Man!

7. thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Heh, looks like he wandered off to hook up his machine.

Kids... :rolleyes: !