1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How FAKE is this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Mar 30, 2013.

1. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    A quick google search showed that the '78 lefty jazz basses had this logo layout. e9yzurer. gyre4age. enudehyd.

2. lol

3. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    seems legit

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    CBS-Fender was too cheap at that stage to order reversed decals. I am not shocked, as the only worse year for Fender than 1978 (which was way way bad, IMHO), was 1979.

Shutter...fast foot steps echoing down the dark wet subway entrance stairs in Flushing, NY.

5. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps

I owned at least five big-head Strats from the 70s, and I would definitely agree. The quality ranged from barely passable to horrid. So I'm not really feeling the current deification of 70s model Fenders for some folks. I guess I just don't get it.

I'm a die-hard G&L Legacy player and would love to own an L-2000 in BlueBurst (my "one day" dream bass). But Fender guitars from the late 90s and 2000s are, imho, some of the best they've ever made. Even the 90s MIJ Strats are pretty darn impressive.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I bought a 79 Precision about 6 years ago and sold it a few months later because I didn't dig the pickup and got used to the flatter necks. Other than that I thought it was a solid build. No gap to speak of, didn't have to keep yanking on the neck to keep it straight, stayed in tune. But man, those pickups have no low end.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    That neck's not fake at all. That's how CBS did the decals on lefties in the 70's. I owned several of them back in the day.

8. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    me too, though i dont know why, since i am right handed..

9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Hmm!! I guess I am wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up, I never seen the logos like that before, but I have not looked at that many left handed basses. Strange cause I am left handed, but I play right

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    That might be real

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Real but expensive for a neck.

I'd sell the neck of my 1973 for that!

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Guy's out of his cotton pickin' mind asking $1,600 for a late 70's bass neck. And charging $45 for shipping is adding insult to injury.

13. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
  14. peaveyGrind6Man

peaveyGrind6Man

Apr 1, 2013
    it looks to have been restored, or never played from the pics at least i had a early 90s i think mexican made 5 string jazz and the fret board on that had some ware and terror. that one seem almost refinished. and they also do show what brand the hardware is thats a tip that they might have been replaced for knock off. not 100% but i wouldnt spend that kind of money just to see if its legit.. you can email fender the S/N and just ask if its fraudulent or real and if its a replacment neck(recreation) or should have a body to go with it..

15. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    +1000

I have a 98 HH "Big Apple Strat" in Shoreline gold and Maple and that guitar will NEVER leave my possession...

0BDBD258-8BE2-47F3-AF2A-FC7235692C74-7267-000003AF842CB266_zps1f76e2dc.

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

Well, be thankful it didn't have any wear and tear.

17. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    I like wear and terror better. maybe that describes relicing?

18. Fender never really has figured out how to do the decals on their lefty instruments, and that 70's Jazz neck is probably the most awkward looking configuration they tried. I have a lefty Jaguar bass and all it says on the headstock is "Fender". Nothing else:

DSCN1128.

Here's another photo of the bass, just cause its purty:

DSCN1116.