Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How far can lessons take you?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Sep 2, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm thinking of getting lessons soon but the problem is theres so much I need to learn. Techniques, theory, etc... Will lessons teach me everything?

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Lessons and theory must be driven by desire and questions. Lessons give you answers right now, desire will lead you to the next question.

Mike

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Well..it depends on the teacher and your desire to learn. Lessons are great if you have a good teacher and you are willing to practice your sh*t at home...

/lovebown

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Lessons will take you as far as you are willing to go. (As said above) with patience and persistence you can go a long way. You just have to keep at it. Don't expect to learn everything at once.

You said there's so much you need to learn? There is always something to learn. You never stop learning. :)

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bottom line:

Lessons take you further than no lessons. Think about it.

7. *morpheus voice on*

"I can only show you the door, you have to walk through it."

*morpheus voice off*

Sorry but it seemed kinda appropriate :rolleyes: :)

8. Lessons helped me a lot because I got to work with a good teacher. He did give me lots of exercises to work on, but that in itself wasn't all that useful, since I could find all of that information in books and on the net. Rather, he helped me develop an approach to the instrument that I didn't have before because I jumped into playing on my own. Don't get me wrong; I think picking things on one's own is a great way to learn, but many times having someone there to instruct you really quickens the process.

He critically evaluated my playing and then told me what my strengths were and what I really needed to work on. He then chose exercises and pieces of music that helped my improve my weak areas.

Above all that, he helped me in learning how to read standard notation, which opened up a lot of musical doors for me.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - how else are you going to learn - what else are you trying - just sitting there hoping bass greatness will percolate into your being through osmosis or something??!! ;)

Of course - it also relies on you practicing regularly and working on the things that you focus on in your lesson - there are no shortcuts and all this stuff takes time and dedication on your part! You also need to be listening to as much music as you can, playing with other people, learning to read music and whatever else you can think of!!

But just sitting there doing nothing isn't going to help you make any progress !!

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    No.

Lessons give you an opportunity to sit one to one with someone who can assess where you are, where you need to go next and point out exactly how to do it.

Lessons are ideal for learning proper technique and losing bad habits.

Lessons are ideal for building up confidence, ie being able to play for and with someone who is way 'better' whatever than means than yourself.

One to one lessons are just a small part of what it takes to become a better musician.

Lessons are nothing without accepting that you and you alone a re responsible for your development.

11. OldDawg

OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are teachers for all levels. Even the big names sometimes take a lesson with a legend. They have what is called a master class or lesson. Usually these sorts of lesson are more critique of your playing and suggestions. So lesson are important at all levels.

12. efcleff

efcleff

Jan 20, 2003
    ohio
    I have to laugh at the "osmosis" thing Bruce. I'm a big advocate of lessons, however- how much can you learn in 30-60 minutes per week? A good instructor will teach you technique,theory and how to be a musician, but one still needs to practice. Think in terms of football-the hard work and practice during the week is what makes you better during the game. An instructor can explain theory or mechanical technique to you, but ultimately you are responsible to learn it. So Bruce is correct, it's not something that will seep into you by osmosis-unless you practice. Lessons are but one tool in your arsenal of learning. Theory is important to know-so study. You have to know it well because you won't have time to think theory while you're playing-it has to be second nature. Books,listening to musical styles, web sites, etc. use all these to further your ability, as well as lessons.
    efcleff

13. the_kev

the_kev

Sep 5, 2003
    England
    Lessons are a lot better than no lessons because you have the experience of the teacher to back you up. Without a good teacher or forum sites like this, you might not learn some really important stuff

14. lessons are good practicing on a regular schedule is also good

15. ClarkW

ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    Picking up an instrument is like getting a wagon with no wheels. Sure, it's useful, for maybe putting some potted plants in, or dragging around through the sand with a lot of effort, or maybe for scrap metal.

Taking lessons is like putting wheels on the wagon. A lot more potential, yes? But the fact remains that unless you put in the effort to move it around, it's either going to sit there, mostly useless but maybe looking pretty, or roll down the hill and crash into the neighbor's garden gnome collection.

16. OldDawg

OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

I would disagree with that comparision. I would change it to taking lessons is like greasing the wheels so you can move faster. You can learn what you need without lessons, but it usually takes longer and more disipline.

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are gigging professionals who still take lessons.

There's always something new to learn and probably someone out there who can teach it to you.

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Lessons directed at improving your technique, reading and hearing are good, but you also have to play, play and play with other people in a wide range of situations and styles. This will take everything you've learned to another level and make you more comfortable doing it when it counts, ON THE GIG!

You need to do both, they're interelated, and on the job training will make you better faster.