How far do you stand away from your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickreyn, Sep 25, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Where do you all stand to hear your amp? Or do you have monitors with bass in them? I am frustrated! To the left I have singers and guitar (and monitors), behind me I have choir people (and monitors), to the right I have keyboards, Latin percussion, electric drums and brass (and monitors), and in front of me I have my monitor with mostly drums. My amp (Carvin R600, SWR 4x10) is to the right and slightly aimed up. I am standing about 6 to 8 feet away. With all this going on, and loud, I can't hear my bass amp. As an ear player, I get easily disoriented. I am happiest right in front of the speaker cabinet. Is a wedge cabinet the answer?
    Barbaric.Eric and dbase like this.
  2. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Hey Rick,
    I'm in the same-type set-up. I use an amp stand and turn my amp side-ways and tilted up(like a wedge) and am about 4-5 feet away. NO problems this way....Jay
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like my rig next to the drummers highhat and I stand anywhere from 5 to 10 feet in front of the rig. I definitely do not like to be right (1 to 3 feet) in front of my amp; I'd only hear myself.
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In the clubs I've been playing, my amp is usually about 1 foot behind me - blasting away at my kneecaps!
    dbase likes this.
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Why don't you get a wedge, and bridge it with your 4x10. (assuming your 410 is 8 ohms... and the wedge is too)
  6. rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I can also bi-amp. I would really like one or two Eden 2x10 wedges aiming at me, but they cost a bunch, and I already have a bundle tied up in the SWR cabinet.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Remember that if you biamp, you can go down to 2 ohms, if you bridge, you can go to 4 ohms. Also, if you biamp, you may want another cab behind you too. So that would mean 2 wedges and 1 ext cab. The R600 is a loud rig though... if you like your sound and just need the volume to hear yourself... look at the Carvin wedges.
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I stand about 4 to 5 feet away...near the drummers left side (Hi-hat snare side).

I think you should either raise your cabinet up on something, get a wedge cabinet so it can be angled up towards you...or get some ears transplanted onto the back of your legs.
  9. Ditto. It sucks.
  10. rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If I don't enjoy the sonic experience, it's not worth it. That's why I want to hear myself!
  11. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    20 feet away. i play an acoustic 371! :)
    Gaolee likes this.
  12. About 2 meters ( best accoustics ).. it stands to my right side, in a corner.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    On a shallow stage I'll set one Eden D210XLT on it's side. If it's really shallow I'll raise it up off the floor. Playing to the backs of my ankles is useless.
  14. I'm with you Steve, I play an Acoustic 370 head with 301 bottom.. that means a nice BIG amp, with a HUGE :eek: cabinet with an 18 incher in... :eek: I leant it to a friend to play at a small club near where I live, and he set it up nice and loud like he would with his little amp, and nearly hurt himself :) I got a good chuckle out of it though :D
  15. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, my group sets up with the drummer to my right and the keyboard player to my left, with my amps lined up with them. I tend to stand about 5ft. in front of my amp, usually a little off-center towards the piano player. I just stack my WM 10 on top of my BX-100, so I really don't have problems hearing myself. Overall, this setup works well for me - none of us use monitors at all, only our singers and guitar player use monitors.
  16. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    About 3 to 6 feet behind me - giving me a full posterior massage!
    Mesa 400+, two eden 410XLT's...
    floydman likes this.
  17. rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Now let's talk about hearing loss!
  18. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, my ears are fine, but my knees are beginning to hurt! When I was using a big rig (Acoustic 360 and a Fender Bassman w/2x15), I was on the far right of the stage. I kept the volume down, and wore a Norton Sonic II in my left ear, leaving my right ear open, which faced away from the stage. We were actually pretty good about stage volume. We were behind the PA, and the guitarists faced their cabinets to the wall. We could actually hear each other onstage - with a little yelling.
  19. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Get that cab up off the floor and quit playing into your kneecaps. Get a 1x15 or another 4x10 to set it on. Even a sturdy table will work. My 1x15 was a great investment before I ever hooked it up just because it got my 4x10 up where I can hear it.