Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How far do you stand from your amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by noely71, Feb 20, 2003.

1. BACK TO THE WALL!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 0 to half a metre

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. 1 metre

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. 2metre

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. 3+

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. :bassist: What is the best distance to stand from your amp, to get optimum sound and movement(for all you low-end lovers!) I can't hear myself and am often told to turn down by my sound guy :rolleyes: so to hear myself should i change where i stand?

2. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I don't stand that far away, but I'm only competing with one guitar player and a drummer. I'm assuming that you can't hear yourself but you are coming through alright in the overall mix?

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    In my experience, try to stand at least 2 meters (sorry, to lazy to convert to feet) away from the speakers. With my amp (Hartke 410 TP) I´ve noticed that the clouser you stand, the less you listen...... or the less definition you get, only: BOOOM-BOOOOOOOM.

It also should depend on the stage size. I you are playing in a bedroom-size stage, man, just stand where you can. But if you are playing in a stadium, try to locate with your amp on the back, to use is as a monitor. I also love to feel the bass on the floor.
    :bassist:

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The stage always predicates that for me.

In the "good ol' days" there was often an acre between me and my amp. Now that I'm old and in the way, sometimes it blows my pant legs and styles my hair.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Close enough that I can reach the caps-lock key :D

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    CAPS MAKE PEOPLE NOTICE YOU, REALLY!

7. What the?...

8. Again, what the?...

9. I often sit on it, if not, pretty close to it. It's me and two guitarists, I don't need to play that loud. Hopefully we'll get a drummer soon.

10. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I usually try to stand about 2-3 metres away, but if the stage is small, or I'm at practice, I'm lucky to get 2-3 feet away.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    AS FAR AWAY AS I NEED TO IN ORDER TO GET THE BEST BLEND OF MY OWN SOUND AND THE SOUND OF THE REST OF THE PEOPLE PLAYING. THERE HAS TO BE A DELICATE BALANCE OF THE TWO OR IT BECOMES DIFFICULT TO LOCK IN AND INTONATE. IF I'M EVER WORRIED ABOUT BEING TOO LOUD, I TEND TO SIT CLOSER TO MY AMP, WHICH LEAVES ME WITH THE PERCEPTION THAT I'M LOUDER THAN I REALLY AM.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

DURRL

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, noely.:)

Typing in ALL CAPS is considered yelling by some and rude by others. That is why people are making remarks about the caps lock key.

I took the liberty of removing the caps from the thread title for you.

I stand right in front of may amp, usually.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's usualy dictated by stage size. But over the years I've noticed that some of my speaker cabs "throw" their sound while others don't. If I'm know I'm going to be on a big stage and away from my amp, I bring the speakers that throw. It I'm playing at a room with noise restrictions (as per tonight's gig) I bring the speakers that don't throw.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I love my Durrl friend.

15. As far away as possible so that I can hear how I sound for the audience, thats why I currently own a 9m cable (no money for a wireless)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it is necessarily about how far away you stand - but rather about your cab's position in relation to your ears. So if you are using a 2 X 10 that is sitting on the floor and your ears are at about 5 or 6 foot above the floor (hopefully!!) - then you are going to struggle to hear.

The sound is projecting a foot off the floor and is bypassing your ears!!

But if that 2 X 10 is up off the floor and at the same height as your ears - then you can stand centimetres in front and will hear very well - you might need earplugs!! ;)

So there was a long article about this (perceived stage volume) in the Old Bassist and Bass techniques magazine and they advocated speaker stands for people who couldn't hear themselves on stage - to get their speakers/cabs to a height nearer their ears!

Tilting cabs back - so they are like wedge monitors also helps - but it depends on the size and shape of the cabs...

(PS Once again the poll was useless!! ;) )

17. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Varying distances - I put down 2m, but that's an average. On a gig, the stage size is often a limit, but where I've got a choice I like to be far enough away to get an idea of what the other musicians are hearing. After all, I'm trying to make music with them, not despite of them :cool:

Wulf

18. I usually stand as close as i can.. I just love when the bass is simply punchin my back.. :)

19. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    uhhh...the conversions....meter = ?ft. :D

kidding of course...far enough away from the amp(which is usually in the vicinity of the drummer) so that I don't get pegged by a stick!

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

:D