How far do you stand from your speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ZERO, I have in ear monitors

3 vote(s)
  2. one to five feet

51 vote(s)
  3. five to ten feet

68 vote(s)
  4. more than ten feet

7 vote(s)
  5. I don't have speakers, I listen to the mains and they are far away......

3 vote(s)
  1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I was wondering how far do you normally stand from your speakers when at a gig?
  2. StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    Depends on the size of the stage of course, but i like to find a sweet spot where I can hear myself best, and am well integrated in the on-stage mix. Then I ask the drummer if he can hear me. I ask the guitar player, too, but I don't think he cares.
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    If I'm not sitting on them I'm usually with in 10 feet.
  4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well i move around a bit, so...ten feet or more? I dont know...
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I usually gig in cramped quarters, so I am usually very close to my amp. I try not to stand directly in front of the amp if possible.
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    When I am rehearsing, I stand only a few feet away from them. I like to hear and feel the Thunda directly coming out.

At a gig, I stand further up- about as far up as the stage and my cables allow me. This is usually around 10 feet. Interacting with the audience is at least as important as feeling the Thunda for me at a gig.
  7. I used to satnd 10 feet or more away, where I could hear a good mix of guitar and bass amps. Before my band started practicing without me, with another bass player. F*&^'n musicians. Being in a band would be great if it weren't for dealing with all the musicians.
  8. Unfortunately, mostly very close due to the large size of the groups I play with (8-12 pieces usually) and stages too small for 8-12 pieces!
  9. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Ideally I'm using IEMs. If not, more than ten feet if I can get away with it.
  10. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It all depends on where we are playing, but usually, within 5 feet of the rig.

We play some places where we have all the room in the world, and others, where sometimes I have to sit in the drummer's bass drum, the space is so cramped. ;)

Friday night, I had plenty of space, and I probably averaged about 5 feet.

Occasionally, and I know this is not good for me - and probably not for the tone - but occasionally I just lean against the corner of the rig so that I can feel it rumble.
  11. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    1 to 5 feet; coz there simply isn't that much room.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Usually bandstands are pretty cramped, plus being close helps me hear myself above the mix a bit.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

5 to 10 feet when possible, but for most gigs it's only 1 to 5 feet. :meh:
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Most stages or corner of the club aren't that big and I'm usually hanging around the drummers hi-hat side, so pretty close.
  15. Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I like to move around as much as possible, so it does vary, but that also depends on where we're playing. Some places, though - where I have to crank my PJB rig, I can't stand right in front - way too loud; you feel your brain melting. :)
  16. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If I can get 8'-10' away it sounds mighty's tough to do in small venues, though.
  17. It really depends. When my wireless is working, I'm not always on the stage.

18. 5' to 10'most of the time.I also like to get a mix of the guitar player and the harp player who stand on the other side of the drummer.We don't have the intruments in the monitors and I have the other guitar player on my side so I like to get out front.In small places I do stand right in front of my amp though.
  19. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I picked five to ten feet because that'd be my preference when space allows. Our group (the first in which I've been the bass player) hasn't gigged out yet though, so that's just intent.

When we practice I don't have a lot of space so it's more like three feet. And at one of the places I jam, quarters are so tight I'm practically on top of my cab. Kinda cool in one respect, 'cuz I can feel the change in my pocket jingling. :) But every time the guitarist next to me goes for his wah pedal I instinctively move aside because it seems like he's gonna stomp on my foot. :D

20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    on a good night, maybe 3 ft. :meh: