How far does your detuner go, and what strings are you using?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lokire, Sep 2, 2009.

1. This is something I'm always wondering about. I've got a detuner that I've used on two different basses. On the B-string of a 35" scale 5-string and on the E-string of a 34" 4-string. Both strung with TI Jazz Rounds (super light gauge).

On the B-string (.118 gauge), it maxes out at about 1 full octave down. But on the E string (.89 gauge) I can only get it down to a low C. I know Matt Garrison uses one on his E string to drop it down to a B, and I'm sure different scale lengths and different gauge strings make a difference. So what's the lowest you can get your detuner to drop, and what kind of strings are you using? :bassist:

2. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    I have a Hipshot Xtender key on my (fretless 4-string) instrument on the E-string - I've had it as low as B and it is "floppy" sounding down there, but I kind of like that sound...

I use Roto RS66LCs.

Just my case...

ps/edit: Manring (of course - who else has made a virtual science out of using Xtender keys?) uses the one on his E-string on "Excuse Me, Mr. Manring" & it goes down to B & back on that tune; he uses D'Ad EXL 220s, I believe.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021