1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How far for a P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr. Mig, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    When restringing a Fender P-Bass how far past the tuning peg do you cut the string? Thanks to all.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    About four and a half inches beyond the post you are stringing to. When installing the E string pull the string through the bridge and up past the E string post. With a pair of pliers, bend the string at right angles 4.5 inches beyond the E string post. Then cut the string about three-quarters of an inch beyond the bend and string it up. You should get about 3 wraps around the post, which will give a good break angle over the nut. Use the same measurement for all strings.

3. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    The technique that I use is to pull the string through the bridge then wrap the string around the tuning post 2-3 times while pulling it fairly tight and then cut the end off to length while wrapped. Leave a little extra (about 1/2") on the end for inserting into the hole in the tuner peg. No guess work as to whether it's too long or too short.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I go two pegs past the peg I'm winding it into. Seems to work.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's a good idea with fenders to leave the A string a little longer than the others, so it wraps all the way down the post; otherwise, it can rattle in the nut slot from having too shallow an angle over the nut.

6. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Here's a big 10-4 to all of the above. I like to cut the E, D, and G strings at "two pegs past" and the A at the end of the headstock. Works just fine.

7. I generally go with three inches past the post.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Absolutely. Better yet - upgrade your string tree to something that covers the A string too (I like the Hipshot trees).

c-

9. Yeah I screwed that up on my most recent set of TIs on a Fender Jazz, cut the A string too short and only getting two wraps around the post -- but I'm dealing with it.

10. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    There's no exact science to this. Just make sure the strings stay wrapped around the peg and you'll do fine. P's practically play themselves even with coat hanger wire.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Remember this gem of wisdom from my dad:

"No matter how many times you cut it off, it's still too short."

Get the hint?