How far is it from the bridge to the pickup on a stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefferson04, Sep 28, 2003.

1. I am currently building a bass with a MM pickup and can't seem to find where the stingray "sweet spot" is. If anyone has measured the distance from the bridge to the pickup before or knows of a site with this information, I'd be very appreciative.
  2. RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Hmm... about 90mm from saddle to the centre of the pickup, from memory... (but my memory is *very* fallible) :meh:

You can scale up pictures to work out these type of measurements - you know the distance from the saddles to the nut will be just over 34" so you can just factor up. However bear in mind that many of the photos in books etc aren't taken exactly on axis, so check the distances from nut to 12th and from 12th to saddle and adjust where necessary.

Having said all that, I have a MM 5-string coming in a few days for a bit of work so I can measure properly for you if no one else jumps in first.
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    from bgavin's website:
    Stingray 4 & 5:
    "From tuner side of 12th fret:
    12.5625" to neck side pickup edge
    13.125 center of neck side magnet
    14.0625 center of bridge side magnet"
  4. RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Using this info, and assuming that Music Man fret wire is 3/32" wide, the measurement from bridge saddle zero point to the centre of the pickup is 87.7mm. Allowing for a typical A string compensation of around 2mm, my memory is spot on!