Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how far off the neck to you suggest your strings be?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Dec 26, 2000.

1. How far off the neck do you suggest the strings be off? Mine are factory set and I like it that way...but does it play better lowered or raised????

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bass Player has a good article on string setups this month.

3. It is often recommended they be set at 1/8" for the G string, and 5/64" for the E, measured at the 12th fret, between the top of the fret and the underneath of the string.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't this be in the "Setup" forum - there are quite a few discussions about this at the moment in this forum?

5. Bruce,

You are correct, Sir!

I'm going to move it now

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There have been many discussions on the board about the adavantages/disadvantages of high or low action, but I think in the end it comes down to personal preference and finding what suits your own playing style.

Generally it seems that if you want to play very lightly and go for maximum speed and fluency, then a low action is preferred. If you want to be able to "dig in" and like an "old school" tone - then a high action seems to be better.

Before anyone jumps on me - this last part (paragraph) is based on what I have read from many discussions and contributors to this board and is not necessarily my own opinion, but is summarised here to try to help answer the original poster's specific question.

I personally think there are other advantages to lower action and a flat fingerboard, but I won't go into that here as it has been argued many times before.

7. Sometimes I play over the 18 fret fingerstyle, and well, the string vibrates quite a bit. So I keep it fairly high so it doesn't hit the fret. Also, I dig in fairly much, so I tend to keep it high for that reason too.

8. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Bass Player mag recommends that the E (or B) string be 3/32" as measured from the bottom of the string to the top of the 12th fret. This distance should gradually be shortened to 1/16" as you move from the E to the G (or C). This is an average set-up for the average player. If you play hard then distances should be increased to prevent fret buzz, and vice-versa. Also note that these distances ASSUME you have properly set-up the relief in your neck. Do that first or the above doesn't much matter; you won't be pleased with the correct action on the wrong relief.