1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How far should I keep my cabs from my VHS collection?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    We just moved, and I'm getting my man space straight.

Currently my bass cabs are stacked 20 inches away from a big Rubbermaid box full of old VHS tapes. That's far enough, isn't it?

Does it help if I have stuff (e.g., rack cases) filling the space between? (Stuff that isn't magnets - LOL)

The cabs are neos.

Any thoughts? Any RL experience out there with this issue? Tales of woe?

Thx

--Bomb :bassist:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Magnetic tape is affected by AC magnetic fields, as created by electro-magnets. You could damage a tape with a permanent magnet- if you dropped one on it.

3. I don't think there's any risk at all. Magnetic fields work on a law which basically means if you put something in the field of the magnet (say 2cm away from the magnet itself) then the "force" of the magnet on that object is 1/4 of what it would be if the magnet and object were touching.

Once you put the object 10cm away, the force is 1/100th of what it would be if the object and magnet were touching, so as soon as you're getting to distances of a meter or more, the effects of the magnet on the object are tiny. Although they still theoretically exist, the forces are so small you really, really don't need to worry about them.

Hope my rambling helps! :D

JBJ

4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Cool! Thanks much to both of you.

"if you dropped one on it" - LOL

--Bomb :bassist: