1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Far Up Can You Go with Alternate Tunings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dradder, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Just as a general rule, how far up in pitch can you go with alternate tunings on a bass guitar? Would taking a string one and a half steps up in pitch be too much tension on it, or would there be some other negative factor to take into consideration? Thanks for any info!

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It depends on the gauge of the string.

3. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm thinking of the low B string on an Ibanez Mikro five-stringer.

4. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    I go until the strings snap, and then just remember the tonal value, and never go beyond a half step flat from that note :bassist:

It is still April 1st, no?? :bag:

5. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Apr 30, 2012
    Albuquerque
    I have tuned basses and guitars up a step and a half and the world didn't explode, the neck and strings didn't snap, but I can't say I liked it. The tension on those strings generally makes them pretty unplayable at those tensions. I had a 5 string with standard 5 string gauges tuned up to C-G-C-F-Bb (meaning 4 strings were tuned up a step and a half). It was playable but exhausting. I discovered Circle K Strings recently and learned that it pays to get the right string gauge for the tuning you want. That is if you plan on keeping it tuned that way for a while.

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If you go to places like Bass Strings Online or Circle K strings and buy strings appropriate to the tuning you want to use then you can tune almost any way you like, your bass will be fine, and you may not even have to touch the truss rod. If you want to up tune a set of EADG strings it depends. I once broke a G string by trying to tune it to A#. I almost had it there but it went SNAP just before I got there.

Ken