Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How far will you go modifying a Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Apr 3, 2004.

1. I'd replace the pickup(s), preamp, bridge, or tuners

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. I'd replace the neck or the body

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I'd replace every part if that's what it took

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. I'd replace or modify nothing

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    So...how far will you go modifying a Bass? I know some players that if a bass doesn't play and sound the way that they want, they trade or sale it. Others replace pickups, preamp, neck and even the body until they get the sound and feel that they want. How far do you think is "Far Enough" and what's the most extreme modifications that you've done (or had done)?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When you replace everything but the body. The neck, I can understand, y'know, if it's a really sweet neck.

However, if you've got a new neck, new electronics, new hardware, ect, then you really should have just gotten a different bass.

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    As far as it takes to achieve perfection.

I'd replace every single bit over time if needed, electronics first, then hardware, then neck, then once it is perfect except for the body, I'd replace that too. It would evolve from crappy into sweet over time. If I were replacing all of that at once I'd just get a new bass though.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I am wanting to get a decently priced 4 string Fender Jazz. \

1st change would be to change the bridge, pickups, and electronics (I want to add an OBP1).

Next would be to get a Rosewood/MOP block inlay Warmoth neck.

Finally a new body would be nice.

I would end up changing everything out (ideally), but I would be able to reassemble the Fender and have that either as a second bass or re-sell it to recoup some cost.

Makes sense to me as long as I realize I will do this from the beginning. Now if it was a higher end bass, I wouldn't do much of anything.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why not just get a Warmoth in the first place then? It'd be cheaper, since there would be no initial Fender to buy.

Unless you want two basses, in which case, why not just buy two, and skip the reassembly process?

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

that would be nice, but I might not be able purchase all the parts at once. If I was, I would probably contact Nino for one.

Like I said, this was just one idea.