how far would you go?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm wondering what is the farthest you, or any of your band mates have traveled (on a regular basis) to rehearse with the band. I'm wondering how far you (or they) had to commute, how often, and how did it work out - was it worth it because the guys and the music were that great or was it a bad experience - just too far or something. Please share your experiences.

edit - if this has been done (I amlost think it has) please point me to the thread
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Here in the southern Midwest, winter/snow is a factor. But the state highway dept's don't spend a lot on trucks/salt/etc. because it's so unpredictable. Winter is one of the busiest times of year for a band, (holiday season), so you have to rehearse a lot at that time of year to keep it fresh.

Even though I could deduct excessive mileage on my taxes, anything more than 30-35 miles is too much for me when it comes to ice/snow on the roads.

Plus, some people have kids/day jobs. They don't want to spend a couple hours of drive time at the expense of their families/office time.

Bottomline, I want everyone to come to rehearsal full of enthusiasm, not dreading it because of the ride. It shows up in the music and the attitudes.
  3. Unfortunately I've driven as far as 65 miles each way for band practices. It really sucks. My last band was about 45 miles away, took almost an hour each way. When the band folded it was almost a relief. We were practicing on Friday nights--I would drive home from work (35 miles, 45 minutes) then throw stuff in car, eat supper, then drive an hour, then practice three or four hours, then drive an hour back. It was killing me. When the band was gigging regular, I could cope with it, but when momentum died and there were no goals, I dreaded it.

Each time I tell myself "next band is gonna be close to home" ...sigh
  4. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I think the farthest I drive is about 2 hours for ESB practice, but it's only once a month on the off season. It's about 70 miles, but with Chicago traffic...

My suggestion? Get a comfortable car, like my '87 Vic. Every seat is shotgun!