Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How fast am I moving?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cool dude todd, Dec 16, 2002.

1. ok heres the deal, i started playing bass about 11 months ago, the only instrument ive ever been interested in and have ever wanted to play(since around 6). i put at least a few hours in every day into it and there arent very many serious bassist around here. i have went from absolutly no knowledge in music to being what i consider pretty good. but i want to know, am i really any good at all or are the other bassists that i know just really horrible? i am starting to slap and write songs, i can play most of the stuff i hear, speed has never been a problem (except on maybe a few faster slap songs) and have what i would consider pretty fine technique (thanx to this site). ive had to teach myself everything i know and since ive started i only read tabs and learnt by ear. last night my girlfriend talked me into reading music and i got on my pc and looked up a good lesson. within an hour i had memorized most of the notes on the fretboard and a few arpaggios, and other scales. i can read a staff and recognise the notes and everything and it kinda scared me that within an hour or two i could read all that stuff. is this common for you people or am i taking this too fast? i really dont want to mess any of my bass life up from moving too fast, its the best thing in the world. almost nothing is more fun to me then sitting in my room playing for a good 8-9 hours at a time. but is that normal?

2. jblaven

jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    :eek: :p Sure, when you start making the $$$ send me 20% for saying go for it :)

3. if nothing is more fun than bass for you, i think that's definitely the right direction.
    i've been playing for three years, and you can do tons of crap i can't. so you're better than me. which is good considering i've been playing 3x as long as you.
    i hate you! stop being better than me!:mad:
    :D kiddin'.
    sounds like you're doing really well. as far as going too fast, i don't think that's gonna be a problem for you. as long as you give yourself enough time to take in all the stuff you find and absorb it completely, you should do great. and if you're already going this quick, it seems to me that that just means that you're having fun with it and your going at your own pace, which just happens to be faster than others (like me:p ).
    just have fun with it, i guess. others will have better input than me, i'm not very well educated on anything at all.

4. jblaven

jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    What? And you are from BRAINtree????:p ;)

5. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    You might want to look into getting a teacher, if possible.

6. if you look at it right, it looks like bra-in-tree. heh heh. there's a bra in that tree.

7. A TEACHER? what do you think i am rich? lol i absolutly no money, couldnt even afford a book. looking into buying a stingray 5 though. ill rely on you guys to be my teachers, who do you think got me this far? :D

8. you guys are always great with help like this

9. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I thought this was going to be a math question. Damn.

Here's your answer: 64.87 MPH

10. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    alright cool dude todd =D
    its great that youve learned so much i have been playing about a year now.. none the less.. i took the E and B off my acoustic guitar cause i thought it would sound better and had just the EADG and learned bass lines on a guitar.. then i got a real bass..
    that acoustic deal went on for about a year.
    Fond memories.. i remember last year about this time.. i learned Ace of spades by motorhead.. I got a real bass and a distortion(lemmy was my hero and the reason i started playing).. i thought i was the man.. then i heard of rush.. =D
    so cool dude todd.. you seem like a cool dude.. this week.. Learn YYZ by Rush. It might take a while (took me 3 weeks to get all of it down.. but I only play a good hour or 2 a day)..
    its really good and it will get you familier with patterns. Thats something also. You probably know but all music is is a pattern. Well rock music and whatnot. Its like you can take a Minor scale and play it backwards starting in the key of F and then take it up 3 notes and play the same pattern in the key of B and you have a nice sounding little peice.
    well goodluck on the playing..

11. wouldnt that bend your neck after a while? like from the lack of tension?:confused:

12. prob. not much, if at all, on an acoustic guitar. most likely nylon strings (if its a dreadnought...but that's just me; i like nylon strings)
    guitar = wussy tension.:D

13. o got an acoustic with nylon, im teaching myself classical guitar too, plus i got a few other country guitars and an electric, thank god for a musical grandfather who likes to throw his money around eh? i borrow any of his guitars anytime i want for as long as i want, as long as hes got one in his house hes happy:D

14. grrr... i got my own lame bass and that's it. new one come christman though. esp neck through, 400 bucks.
    my old man plays guitar, so there's a few cool axes laying around (1973 transparent cherry gibson sg with bigsby tremelo among them). i'm thinking of trying to fix his broken old 12 string.

15. isnt it awful? everything i have is bought on my own (i cant get a job ive tried as hard as i could but just never got hired) have no income whatsoever, and the only soarce of any type of guitar is my own or my grandfather, and my local music store wich i spend most of my time at jamming out on the fine instruments and chatting with ppl like yourselves:D

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fast enough for a teenager.

Next time lose the caps on the title.

17. how did you know i was a teenager? lol

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Three reasons:

One, you got that hormone driven desperate hurry.

Two, you're asking "is this normal" questions.

Three, Your profile sez you were born in 1987!:p

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Not only that, but we knew you were 15 without looking at your profile! It tends to be screamingly obvious. And, they're always 15 (as I've discussed with Bruce) - not 14 or 16. Your username, the bad spelling, bad grammar, lack of capitals (except where there are capitals, the whole word/sentence is in capitals) and punctuation, desire to slap (;)), and general style tend to give it away.