Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How fast can you play?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bplayerofdoom, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    Some recently posted the same question which turned into a mess no one accually answered. I on the other am curious of the answer too. Part of the debate was what he ment by how fast and how to measure it so hows this.( O and plz only serious answers this time and none of this speed don't matter replies or other useless replies because thats not what im asking.)

What is the fastest pace you can play 16th notes evenly for at least 30 seconds (since your arm does wear down we need a minimun time you can keep it up) if playing just a single solitary note over and over. Plz answer in beats per minutes. Optional: Include your right hand fingering method you used?

2. I Thenk I don't play so fast.

[​IMG]

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Measuring how fast one can play a solitary note is completely useless. The problem most people have with speed is not right- or left-hand speed alone, but playing properly together with both hands. So a major scale would be more appropriate to measure speed over. But even that would not be 100% satisfactory, since music hardly ever consists of scales alone. So it would be better to pick a specific tune with several techniques in it and see who can play that one the fastest. Naturally it would probably be he/she who has practiced it the most, which gives people a head start if they have played it before. And it's one thing to play fast, and another thing to play fast and CLEANLY. How would one include that into the equation?

But even if all this was considered, I still wouldn't take the test as I don't think music is a competition. It's just music.

4. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    You said exactly what I said not to say. Music is about harmony, melody, style, yadda yadda. Thats not what I asked. Plz answer (a stupid retarded answer is even ok) but plz no more stupid speculations.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Word. Excellent post.

I agree 100%.

6. *Thinks to himself*

There is no such thing as stupid people, just stupid questions... There is no such thing...

*Smacks himself on the head*

Who am I kidding?

And once again... :rolleyes:

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If there's any stupid speculations going on here whatsoever I'd say it's coming from you. I can't help but wonder WHY you feel that you need to know this. I don't understand it, so I question it. Is it so you have something to profile yourself with, something you can't do with just playing music?

I think this is like a sprinter only practicing getting out of the starting block as fast as possible, but not running. What good is quick reaction time if you don't have the quality to win the races anyway?

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If you have to ask why this one's shut down......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.