Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How fast could you put on a new set of strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just changed strings the other day, and since my past is primarily guitar, I noticed what a pleasure it is changing strings on a 4 string bass with tuners like a Fender or Ric. You don't puncture the tips of your fingers and it's a very fast process. I know this is probably the most important thing you guys think about, but if your life depended on it, how long would it take you to change strings on a 4 string bass, and tune it by ear to get it close enough to start playing? 5 minutes?

Skel

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Maybe not 5 minutes because I would have to take off the old set and open the new set. But maybe only putting on the new set might take 5 minutes if I don't take my time. I like to take my time doing it peacefully while listening to music.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Man, there is something very peaceful and tranquil about changing strings. Weird. And cats LOVE it.

Skel

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Weird....My cat. Oreo, shows up EVERY time I change strings...

Slug

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

I was going to say - if you *ever* loose your cat, and the family's freaking out - just change strings. Done.

Skel

6. jaysun

jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    How often do you guys break strings? thats probably the only reason you would need a quick strign change. I never really thougth abotu them breaking before. The guitarists in our band usually break a few every practice, but i jsut figured bass strings were stronger. When i broke my first string, i didn't even know what happened at first. they don't jsut snap liek an electric guitar. they more jsut lossen up

Lets say i wasn't too prepared for my string to break. i drove to the nearest guitar shop, bought a new set, drove back to practice, put on the news ones for a total of lets say....

1 hour. fast enough?

7. GregHolmes

GregHolmes

Mar 3, 2006
    Niagara, Ontario
    Dealer of: BassLab, Eminence, Upton, A.I., Muse, MIDIjet
    I played the original strings on my Cort Steinberger clone 4-string for almost 15 years. Then during a gig, the D string broke at the bridge. My brain went numb, since it was hard to play with a hole like that, but I somehow finished the song. Then, between songs, I quickly (!) moved the G string down into the D position (very easy with double-ball strings) and tuned the G string down to D. The rest of the gig was surprisingly easy to play on this "3-string bass", E-A-D.

The down-tuning was significant, since it showed me that the bass would still sound and play really good with thinner/looser strings. So my next set of strings was the Ken smith light set (90-70-50-30). (Yes...I carry spare strings now...)

8. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Well, this wouldn't work for me, but for guys who carry a spare... about 10-15 seconds to mute, unplug, and swap basses.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a 6 string. My cat is in heaven. I have to yell at him the entire time I'm changing my strings.

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

What's up with this whole cat thing???

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    cats love to play with the strings.

12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think it is the random way the strings flop around that makes them crazy. You don't know you're toying with them but you are.
    I was bass fishing one time and didn't get a bit all day. On one of my casts I got a backlash in my reel. While I was picking out the backlash my rod tip kept moving around and the action caused a strike. I was able to set the hook but had to hand line the fish in because my reel was still messed up.
    I'm sorry I strayed for a moment.

Anyway cats love things that move around. Get a cat, its non stop entertainment.:D

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I just put on a set of strings and typed this post at the same time!

14. Legend has it my old teacher could completely string up a bass in 30 seconds, in tune ready to go. That doesn't include taking the old ones off but, if thats true...WOW!

(I never saw him do it, but I think he DID mention it, and the guitarist in my band apparently had him string up a bass which didn't work and ended up on his shed door...you can never really tell if the guitarists quite telling the truth or not, but this story's stuck for the last 4 years so its probably true)

15. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    5 minutes sounds about right, altho I wouldnt be content with the tuning (I like very precise tuning, takes me a bit more time to get it perfectly the way I want).

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    So does mine, it's fascinating:D

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If I cut off the old ones, I can do it in about a minute a string, but I prefer to do it properly and tune precicely,

18. I usually take my time, watching tv, or talking on the phone, and slowly cut them off, and change a string. The fasted I ever did was about 6 min to do a 5 string set. I took them off, not cutting them. The only reason I took so long was because I had to do it during class in high school

19. GregHolmes

GregHolmes

Mar 3, 2006
    Niagara, Ontario
    Dealer of: BassLab, Eminence, Upton, A.I., Muse, MIDIjet
    Excuse me sir, but I believe that this site's rules state that using the word "bass" in the context of fishing is strictly forbidden.

;-)

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    With Sperzels it's so fast that it's a waste of time to time it.