how fast do you drive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Number27, Aug 5, 2009.

1. under the posted speed limit

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. exactly the speed limit

14 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. maybe a little fast (~5mph over)

59 vote(s)
    50.4%
  4. faster than most (~10mph over)

27 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. wait.. there's a limit on speed now?

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. carrots

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. i'm purely interested because i'm a curious cat. some people drive really fast, others the opposite, i'm curious to know why. personally: i'm 24 and i drive fairly briskly, usually 5mph over... sometimes 10. i like driving, but i don't really want to spend more time getting from home to work than i have to, i certainly don't want to trundle down the road at 25 mph in the middle of the night when everyones in bed.

"when you're driving, everyone going slower than you is an idiot, and everyone going faster is a maniac." - george carlin

also, if you want to, post your age, cuz we all know the stereotypes of "higher the age lower the speed" and whatnot, and i'm curious to see how true that is on here. feel free to discuss whatever, but leave all the "blah blah you shouldn't speed, blah blah against the law/for safety/think of the children" lecturing in the hedge. we all have/had real mothers, we don't need an online one.

2. JovialEvil

JovialEvil

Jul 23, 2009
    San diego, Ca.
    Free/Highway, I go faster then the speed limit but I do the limit exactly on city streets.
    I am 38. I have drove this way for as long as I have driven. Parents said they would kill me if I got a ticket when I first got my license.

3. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I'm 17, and I try to keep it at 4-5 over.

4. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I drive 66 km every morning to go to work and the same distance to go back home. The road are full and the only way not to be bothered by the circulation is to drive faster than the others and rive on the extreme left of the road (trucks on the first line, then people driving at the requested speed, then on the left, people driving "fast")

5. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

City streets: 2-3 mph over but never more than 5 over.
    Highway: 5 mph over but never more than 10 over.

Traffic permitting of course.

I'm 21.

6. oh but never say never. i mean.. what if you were really late to work/wife was having a baby/grandmother was on fire?

7. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I like to drive fast, I wish I didn't and I wish my car had bad acceleration and a small engine.

I am 17 by the way.

I don't think driving fast will save an old person or young person from dieing due to fire.

8. no you don't.

i drive a fast car, but weirdly enough i find that it helps me not speed most of the time. it's got an aftermarket exhaust and above 3k it's really quite loud, so most of the time i keep it mellow and i don't go too fast. whenever i drive my friends little japanese silent 4 bangers i find it's way to easy to be going 45 down a 30 without even realizing it.

it would if you had a convertible... and they were in it... :D

9. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

:spit:

10. Ivarrr

Ivarrr

Apr 27, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I drive about ~9 mph over the limit, traffic permitting of course.

I'm 18.

11. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    I drive the speed limit, and sometimes a little under it. Very rarely will I go quicker than that, and that's usually when I'm driving late at night and too tired to notice.

I'm 20.

12. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

In town I never go more than 5 over. On the freeway it really depends on how many other people are around and how fast traffic's moving. Regular time during the day on the highway usually between five and ten over. In the middle of the night when there's nobody on the road? Sometimes 20-25 over.

13. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I'm over 50, don't have much time left, so I speed.
    On the highway I'll do 10 over, because a State Trooper told me they're not interested in speeders until they hit 15+ over the limit.
    On city and town streets, the limit or +5 is how I roll.

14. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    Highway - 9 miles over
    City Streets - 5 to 8 miles over
    Neighborhood - 2 miles under

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I pretty much follow traffic... in the left lane. If they're doing the speed limit, so am I. If they're 5 over, me too. If they're 5 under, me too.
    If I'm alone, or around town, I pretty much keep it to the speed limit, or even under by about 5 mph. I'm in no rush really... Oh, and my car sees a track every now and again, so that helps ;).

16. I'm a little bit different than the average driver because I never keep the same speed. Think of it as moving from cover to cover while in a paintball fight: I start at one place in traffic, look ahead and see a hole so that's where I go to next, settle in there, and the cycle repeats.

My theory is that I'm basically getting other people to play "Minesweeper" for me because the cops will see them first. At the sign of their brake lights of course I will be applying my brakes and I should have had a nice following distance as well. I know I'm playing the odds but oh well, life is a crapshoot anyway.

And as to speeding: it depends. But on the average I'll be doing speed limit+5. But there are roads where I know I can do 40 over and get away with it, and there are roads you couldn't threaten my life to speed on. It's all about situational awareness.

BTW, I'm 23.

Peace,
    Greg

17. i cant drive, but when i was attending sumer school, my friend drove me to school. the speed limit on the main road/highway type deal is either 80 or 100 km; im not too sure.
    but we were goin 160 at one point. along back roads and dirtroads he gets going that fast too. i need to stop using him for rides :atoz: ill probably die sometime

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm 42, and something of a motorhead. I've attended a performance driving school, and I have a Saab 9-5 Aero with manual transmission, which is powerful and fuel efficient. (Just as important, it has a huge trunk for lots of gear. :D)

In the city, I normally drive around the speed limit. Until fuel prices spiked, I regularly drove 80-85 on the highway, but now it's more like 70-75. This is partly my desire to save fuel, and partly because everyone else has slowed down, so I don't want to stand out from the herd. If I'm in a hurry and conditions permit, I'll go back to my 80-85 ways, even 90 on highways in rural areas like West Virginia.

On back country roads, I will frequently drive 15+ over the posted limits. I normally stay less than 20 over, because fines increase significantly at that point. I haven't been pulled over in about 13 years.

19. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    It depends on the situation.

But I typically drive over 80mph on the highway. On residential roads, usually about ten over. Back roads as fast as I can safely drive (sometimes the speed limit, sometimes significantly faster). In neighborhoods, no faster than the speed limit.

Generally.

20. No more than 5 over. I'm exceptionally concerned about fuel mileage, so rapid starts, stops, and accelerations / decelerations tend to be avoided. Also, based on several GPS devices as well as trailer-mounted speed detectors, the calibration of my speedometer is 2mph off, i.e., if I am going 65 mph according to my car, it is really 63 mph.

When gas was over $4, I set the cruise control to 62 mph on all highways. >35 mpg, though, so not too bad!

I'm 29.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021