Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How frequencies behave in different environments...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Is there a website out there that talks about how different frequency ranges will respond to different stages, rooms, etc...?

I play in the B jazz band at my school, and have been playing for 5 years. The guy in A has been playing for 2 years, he just picked up site reading and all that really quickly, plus he played sax and drums so rythms were not an issue for him.

I tend to stay out of his business, and he stays out of mine, but something he does really bugs me.

He scoops the hell out of the mids. In fact, there are no mids. I cant use a different tone on the amp, because there is not any time to adust the settings i want in between songs during the period.

We sound fine in the class with that setting, but on stage, we get really boomy and there is little definition.

I can't seem to get the point across to him that it is jazz band, not a punk band. We aren't rocking out. Its not a victor wooten concert, we dont need that mid scoop...

But he wont listen, so i just deal with it because most of the time, we are using his amp.

Hell, even on the PA when we use it, he goes over to the master EQ's and does a mid scoop... While I stare at him thinking "Not everything is a bass, jaghoff."

Anyways... I know I can make the band sound better when I EQ the amps and PA for concerts and such... He was gone for a while, I got to work my magic, and the next concert, people were commenting on how much fuller the sound was, but they couldnt explain why.

I want to read up on specifics of mixing and EQ, so the band director makes it MY job. I'm sick of judges yelling at me for being "boomy" and I never want to hear that comment again.

So, any resources out there that I can read to beef up my knowledge, and become the real sound man for the band?

(Info on drums, horns, piano, etc... would be great too.)

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

So, any resources out there that I can read to beef up my knowledge, and become the real sound man for the band?

Start here: www.prosoundweb.com

Check out the Study Hall and the Lounge forum, plus the links page. If you put in the time, you can develop a whole lot of knowledge over there. I'd try to get up some real world experience with whatever bands you can hook up with as well.

You can get some decent books at the library too. See if you can get the standard Yamaha sound reinforcement one, and maybe the E-V bible, for starters.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

4. I say if he isn't looking, turn down everything but his treble :hyper:

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    He wants an upright really bad... and the school wont buy one, and I'm a jerk and won't let him use my fretless...

so today i spent an hour adjusting my fretless and my amp until it sounded like an upright.

hee hee.