1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How get a mic into my live mixer & recording interface.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Oct 31, 2010.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I've asked this question in a different way a while back, didn't get my issue resolved, and now I really need to figure something out. When our band has practice, I have been using my recording interface into Cubase and then out L/R to my live mixer. This works ok, I get pretty good recordings, but have no controls working with my live mixer. I'd like to be able to split all the XLR signals with something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PACK-5-Feet-S...217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b44cb819

I've tried to use the inserts on my mixer to feed my interface, with suprising results. The signal to the live board is reduced, but not cut completly, so this might work, but once I stop using the inserts, gains would have set again, dont' really want to mess with that. I'd like to set the mixer & interface & be done.

A split snake was discussed in a previous thread, but I can't spend $200-$300 for this.

What do you think?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    When you tried the inserts, did you use a regular insert cable (trs to 2 .25" mono) or did you use a standard mono cable, half inserted ? I've used the latter with no degradation, mixer to mixer of course, this could be variable ...

3. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I'm going to give that a try with the cable 1/2 way in, I used a TRS to XLR, all the way in. I just set up my system, using only the live mixer and worked with that set up last practice, now I'm going to try the inserts. I also have one XLR splitter I found, might give that a try.

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    That's likely why your level dropped. The TRS on an insert cable has a ground, an unbalanced send, and unbalanced return. An XLR has a ground, a positive, and a negative. You essentially sent it a positive with no negative, which either forced the gear into a -10dB mode or caused some other weirdness.

5. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    If there are no Direct outs off the board then and insert with a tip/sleeve cable halfway in sent to recording interface.
    only the mixer preamp will effect the record level, set it and use the faders to mix your live sound.

If you have 4 aux sends that are pre fader you can send out of those to 4 inputs to an interface. if the aux outs on the mixer are balanced and so is your interface inputs then use tip/ring/sleeve balanced cables. or route 4 sub outs to 4 ins on interface but this way you can't turn channel faders up or down for live Volume without effecting record levels