Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How good are Avatar cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeSession9, Jul 9, 2002.

1. I was lookin on www.avatarspeakers.com, from a link by someone on this site. They said they make quality gear. If so, I was looking to maybe get the B115, stacked with the B210. Is this a good combination, and will it be loud enough for my band? Also, which head would be good for these 2 cabs, that isnt over 200 bux?

2. I love my AVATARS!
    Do a search and you'll find lots of other people do too.

As for a sub 200$ head good luck. The only thing I can think of is a used GK400RB and that doesn't make a lot of power.

3. Sorrie! I didnt mean to put 200, i meant 400. lol. Thanks for bringin it to my attention.

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well the best thing I could think of new is the Warwick Pro Fet 2 which is $480 at Musiciansfriend.com or there Gallien Krueger 400RB-III for 490. Otherwise new you might wanna try ebay.

5. The Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III is not $490. I got mine for $400 new. So this probably what you should look into. A lot of people use GK to power avatar cabs. I do.

6. My bad...i got it on sale during Guitar Center's "Smashed Prices" campaign. It's $490 on www.musiciansfriend.com and they usaully have the lowest price on gear. I guess i lucked out.

7. How will the GK hold up both the 2x10 and the 1x15? Also, is that a good combo, or should i look more towards the 4x10 and 1x15? *Remember - The band situation. We have a loud drummer thats looking towards adding another bass drum, and a guitarist who is in the process of getting a 100w amp. I really am leaning towards the 2x10 and 1x15, but which would suit my situation best?

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for 100 bucks more you could have a preamp + poweramp setup instead of a crappy head.

get a Carvin DCM1000 for $400 (yes, the 1000 stands for 1000 WATTS. much better than the G/K, no?)
    and a yamaha pb1 bass preamp for under 100

or any other bass preamp - even a small compressor would work until you got a good preamp. but you need POWER. trust me ;)

9. I am in a rock/metal band where the guitarist jams through a 100w marshall 4x10 and a drummer who just got new zyilgen cymbals in which he pounds away on. I got a 4x10 and I am getting a 1x15 hopefully soon. And i will connect them through the GK400RB. If you were to do this you will need two 8 ohm cabs. Do not get a 4ohm unless you absolutly don't want another cab at all forever. But i certainly would lead toward getting 8ohm, it will be worth it. I think it will hold up, i don't think you should worry about it. If you want to get the most volume out of the head get the 4x10 (pushes more air) but is all portability issue in that area. If you can haul a 4x10 and another cab then do it. If you can't then obviously go for the 2x10.

10. Thanks for the help Rage. Im making this a project rig...since i cant buy it all at once, and since im gunna be puttin out some $$$, i mite as well put the extra. Its not THAT much.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

hee hee

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I agree with warwick5s here.. of course... I have a similar rig.. DCM1500 :).. lots of power. works great

13. I don't know how to spell that stuff...I'm not a drummer. ;)

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    only a drummer would botch the spelling of his own gear... ;)

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Warwick5S what makes GK heads crappy?

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    LMBO:D

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the fact that they're not 1000 watts :D :D :D

i think with the existance of the carvin and qsc poweramps, there are few bass heads that still deserve to exist.

18. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    That's an interesting comment about the lack of need for bass amps, Warwick5S. I received my Avatar B210 last week and ordered the B115, which should arrive early next week. So now I want to upgrade my amp as well. I was looking at the Ampeg B2R and B5R as reasonably inexpensive, light, and powerful heads. But I would really like a QSC PLX1602 with an Ampeg BSP preamp (or better). The problem is cost. To get a less expensive power amp usually means a large increase in weight. And bass preamps can also be very expensive. I.e., I don't want to spend $1000 or more on just the amp, including pre. So I'm probably stuck buying a bass amp head, and perhaps even a used one.

19. The pre/power thing is nice but a GK800RB used for 300 bux would probably do the job.

20. I agree. And if you need more power later, use the G-K 800RB as a preamp to feed a high-wattage power amp -- and drive more cabs.

Lots of these on eBay, usually. Just like buses; if you miss one, there'll be another one along soon. Happy bidding!