Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How good are Essex basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaunze, Apr 6, 2004.

1. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    i'm looking for a good beginner bass, and it seems to me, that for my pricerange, <200 hopefully, they are the best bet. so i have some questions! I like the look of the SB-301, but i really have no clue about techinical stuff. so what would you recommend? and i live in oregon, and rondo music is in new jersey, so am i better off just lookin at local music stores instead of paying the insane shipping costs? are the shipping costs gonna be insane? so many questions! any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shipping will be normal for basses, around $25. Not insane, plus you save a lot of money because the basses are so cheap. Basicaly heres the deal on Essexs... You wont find anything beter for the price, or anythign better for at least $150-$200 more. Great basses, easily upgradable to be even better. With a good setup, they rock.

3. The SB-301 probably has a whole pile of tones to choose from, since it has two different style pickups. You'll most likely be able to dial in a tone that sounds good to you.

4. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    cool! thanks for the info, so i think i may have found my first bass! thanks!