1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How good are late 80's Japanese Fender Jazz's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timmyc, May 29, 2007.

1. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    How would a late 80's Japan Jazz's (the one I am looking at is 89) say compare to USA models of today? In tone, quality and feel?

Thanks

2. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    bump

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pretty good, actually. Fender pulled itself out of its problems in the mid 80's.

4. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Sorry I forgot to mention its a Japanese 89

5. It'll be just fine.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They are fantastic, but some tend to have dated styling. Lots of Japanaese Fenders of the era had no pickguard and kind of "updated" styling (P-Lyte comes to mind). Pickups may be great, may not be so great. They run the gamut. Always excellent construction and materials though.

7. If the one you're looking at is built anything like my '88 P, then you should have nothing to worry about construction-wise. As with any Fender however, you should still play it if possible to make sure you like it.

8. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I have a mid to late 80's 4 string fretless Fender Jazz Special. It's great. Very stable neck. Nice tones. Absolutely no problems.

9. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    SWEET - just what I wanted to hear!

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Supposedly the glory years for Japanese Fenders.

I've got one I bought new in 89. Fantastic bass. One of the best necks I've played. I did upgrade to DiMarzio model J's a few years ago, but I'll never sell this bass, definitely my "go to" bass when I'm sitting in the music room!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021