1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How good are Modulus VJ ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I got a friend of mine who wants to buy a bass in the sub $1000 range. He´ll probably go for a used one. I made him some suggestions based on my experience (Musicman, Warwick, Lakland, Cirrus, Spector) but he´s got the opportunity to buy a Modulus VJ. I´ve heard some good reviews about it but never played one.

Can anybody give me a review ?

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Based on a brief experience in a music shop, I really liked the VJ. Its a little colder sounding than your zon, but I still think its a great tone.

3. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I owned and gigged with one for a year or so a while back (I sold it to buy a 73 jazz).

I thought it was a terrific bass. Mine had passive Barts, and the output was a little low compared to some other basses (it just needed a little more pre-amp juice than other basses I had), but it was crystal-clear, and IMO very musical (for some people, I think, the clarity sounds like "sterility," but that wasn't how it seemed to me.

It had excellent build quality, the neck was super-stable, and you could get the action incredibly low.

Keep bumping this one -- there are a bunch of players on this forum who have experience with VJs.

4. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    If your friend could get a Modulus for a grand or under tell him to grab it before someone else does (as long as it's not really beat up).

It's just a matter of EQ'ing after that to get the sound he wants. They have a big tone range. If he's afraid of the clarity just tell him to boost the bass and reduce the treble on the guitar (or just reduce the treble), it will still be clear but a little softer sounding.

The only thing I would suggest it to make sure it has a truss rod. I'm not sure on the jazz models but some older models came without a truss rod. Just nice to have in case...the necks never seem to go out anyways.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    A had a GVJ for awhile with Barts and 2-band Aguilar pre.

Pros:
    -Well built; boutique quality and attention to detail.
    -Superb fretwork - action as low as you can possibly want

Cons:
    -A little on the heavy side
    -Neck felt a little chunky for my taste and the radius is flatter (12", I believe) than what I'm used to in a Jazz.

-Didn't sound very good compared to my Fender Jazz Deluxe.

It is hard to describe and I don't want to use the ever-so-popular adjetive to describe Modulus, "sterile," but the Jazz Deluxe was more growly, alive, and full. . . The GVJ sound felt restrained and compressed in comparison, with a natural mid-scoop.

6. +1 on the truss rod. let's you fine tune the relief.
    I love my VJ4, highly recommend them. If you can find one for less than a grand w/ a truss rod, pull the graphite trigger.

7. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    Im a builder and I still love Modulus basses. I own a couple of quantums and have owned a JV. Be prepared to get a good Bart pre-amp or get a set of Aero passive J pus as the pus are the weak link.

Also, make sure the frets aren't beat. I wouldn't touch a refret on the graphite neck.

You'll really apprieciate the graphite neck if you play outside during the humid months.

Matt Pulcinella
    www.mpguitars.com

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned the VJ and only sold it because I purchased a 77 jazz bass. I owned an all graphite model and it sounded great! Actually I regret selling it. Jazz bass sound without the hassles of owning an older instrument. It is really close to a 60's jazz bass

I also own a modulus genesis 5 which is great also but definitely not the same instrument. I'm planning on putting a glockenklang preamp in it soon

9. If you're looking at the VJ I would also try to check out the Modulus Flea model. They offer it with a dual jazz configuration in addition to the regular MM style. I've got 5er with dual Bartolinis, an Aguilar pre, and a Badass V I had installed. I couldn't be more happy with it's punchy fingerstyle voice. I've played the VJ as well and you can get some great tones out of them as long as you put some good pickups in it and put a solid bridge on it. I definately agree that you should check the condition of the frets and make sure it has a truss rod if you're going to get one used.

10. juanete

juanete

May 15, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    thanks guys. I am actually the guy buying the bass.
    I saw VJ models online selling for about 1200-1300 (used), and I was a little concerned about buying the instrument without playing it...
    I also saw a Zon Sonus 4 "Ash/Graphite" 4 st. on the same price range ($1300). Have any of you guys played both of these bases? If so please let me know.

Thanks.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Bass Central shows a new one with a list $2000. That should sell in the $1400 range, and then you'd get a warantee.

12. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a fretless Deluxe Jazz with EMGs. I absolutely love this bass. Mine has the flamed maple top over and ash body. The pickups are very versatile. If lower the volume on the neck pickup, I get a great horn like sound. When I roll off the the bridge pickup a little bit a get a great, throbbing finger tone. Mine has been used more than any other bass I've ever bought. It has fretboard wear and many dings but it still looks and sounds awesome. I also have a zon sonus. The sonus is the easiest playing bass I have ever put my hands on and I have played and owned a lot. Literally plays itself. The action is incredibly low. It also has a naturally scooped tone that makes slapping jump out. I suck at slapping, but it makes what I do sound soooo much better. It's like if you asked an engineer to give you the perfect eq for a slap sound. I run mine flat. So honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either bass. Both basses have top notch fit and finish. My zon weighs under seven pounds, but the DJ weighs a good bit more. Make sure you like the sound of graphite first though. The internet can be awesome. My local store was selling zon sonus' for over two-grand. I bought mine for under $1500.

happy huning,

Mike